Blazing Saddles

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Blazing Saddles

Tagline: Never give a saga an even break!

Genre: [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE], [GENRE]Western[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Mel Brooks[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Cleavon Little[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Gene Wilder[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Mel Brooks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Madeline Kahn[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Slim Pickens[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Harvey Korman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Burton Gilliam[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Alex Karras[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]David Huddleston[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Liam Dunn[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]John Hillerman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]George Furth[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jack Starrett[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Carol Arthur[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Richard Collier[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Charles McGregor[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Don Megowan[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dom DeLuise[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Count Basie[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Karl Lukas[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Robyn Hilton[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]1974-02-07[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]93[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]The Ultimate Western Spoof. A town where everyone seems to be named Johnson is in the way of the railroad. In order to grab their land, Hedley Lemar, a politically connected nasty person, sends in his henchmen to make the town unlivable. After the sheriff is killed, the town demands a new sheriff from the Governor. Hedley convinces him to send the town the first Black sheriff in the west.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

In college when ever we were at "drink and drown" ($0.05 beer night) and we ran out of money, the quote always was ...

"SOMEBODY NEEDS TO GO BACK AND GET A SHIT LOAD OF DIMES!"

The bit during the old number 8 raid on the town... where Mongo punches the horse was inspired by Sid Caesar. I can't remember if the horse bit him or threw him, but Sid got so mad he hit the horse and knocked it out.

Franky Laine doing a great western movie theme song and nobody told him it was for a parody. True or not, I love this anecdote.

The bit during the old number 8 raid on the town... where Mongo punches the horse was inspired by Sid Caesar. I can't remember if the horse bit him or threw him, but Sid got so mad he hit the horse and knocked it out.
I have a hard time thinking of Sid as the kind of guy who would punch a horse, much less hard enough to knock it out. For me he will always be Mr. Magic.

Also, while researching this anecdote, discovered that he died just two days ago.

--Patrick

Don't be to hard on Caesar for hitting the horse, Values Dissonance. Sid was a very strong man, he could pick up 1940's wooden desk, full of paper, a couple of feet and slam it down on the floor. And once held Mel Brooks out an 18th floor window. He was not always a sweet guy either.

Don't be to hard on Caesar for hitting the horse, Values Dissonance. Sid was a very strong man, he could pick up 1940's wooden desk, full of paper, a couple of feet and slam it down on the floor. And once held Mel Brooks out an 18th floor window. He was not always a sweet guy either.
"Values Dissonance?"
Ah, you mean the trope? Or was that the name of the horse he hit?

--Patrick

Wasn't Sid Cesear the inspiration for Alan Brady in the Dick Van Dyke Show? And Buddy was loosely based on Mel Brooks?

Trope.

Yes, Sid was the inspiration for Alan Brady. Buddy would fit, but I don't know.

Oh and Sid did not hit the horse hard. The horse tried to crush his wife, so Sid grabbed the reigns, got it to its feet and punched it between the eyes. It did not fall down or get knocked out.

40th anniversary blu-ray comes out this week. I'm going to be watching it this week and would like to offer this laurel, and hardy handshake to anyone who plans to join me.

40th anniversary blu-ray comes out this week. I'm going to be watching it this week and would like to offer this laurel, and hardy handshake to anyone who plans to join me.
:facepalm:
Now that I see it in writing, I can't believe I missed that joke all these years.