Bin laden is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
As much as I respect Noam Chomsky as a linguist, I have to admit his political opinions are more than a little jarring to me.

While I get where he's coming from, I have a tough time taking seriously anyone who doesn't source his interpretation of news events in this day and age.

His point on not knowing for certain who was responsible is quite true, but there is a difference between saying "Bin Laden was responsible" and "al-Qaeda is responsible". The FBI knew almost immediately that the hijackers were members of AQ. It was Bin Laden's direct connection that didn't get verified until he took responsibility in 2004. Which was 7 years ago.

To the crux of it, was his death legal? It's a good question, and it needs to be investigated and established that it was, but again, when Chomsky doesn't bother to back up his claims that it wasn't, it's hard to take him seriously on this topic.

Also, this is just stupid:

It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”
While the treatment of American Indian tribes by the US government/colonists is an undeniable shameful black mark upon our history that has still not been fully redressed, naming weapons 100 years later after a warrior culture that thousands, possibly millions, of Americans proudly trace their roots back to is not the same as the Nazis naming planes after people they were currently systematically trying to exterminate.

While the treatment of American Indian tribes by the US government/colonists is an undeniable shameful black mark upon our history that has still not been fully redressed, naming weapons 100 years later after a warrior culture that thousands, possibly millions, of Americans proudly trace their roots back to is not the same as the Nazis naming planes after people they were currently systematically trying to exterminate.
You're right, it's not the same, because we did successfully exterminate Native Americans.

So was it was the intent of the Person in Charge to mock or violate the native american cultures by naming military vehicles after them? Huh.

Uh, hello! Right here? -.-
Apologies, I felt that arguing with TLB as to degrees of extermination was just a fail way to go. Of course it's more nuanced than that.
Added at: 16:36
So was it was the intent of the Person in Charge to mock or violate the native american cultures by naming military vehicles after them? Huh.
According to Chomsky, and apparently TLB, it is. Which says a whole hell of a lot right there.

And the people who immigrated after all the land was already taken.
But if you exclude them, you'd almost have to exclude anyone who was born after the land was already taken, but clearly that wasn't his intention. It's just so much easier to blame based on gender and race.

J

Jiarn

I... just.... what... God... FFFFFFFUUUU....

HOW? EVERY FREAKIN' TIME? HOW THE HELL?!

Also, Cherokee and Chippewa here. DEAL WITH IT.
Yeah, also, don't try and call him out on his obvious trolling. You'll get an infraction. -eyeroll-

He's trying too hard in this thread anyway.

You got a warning.

QQ moar.
Huh. I didn't know warning was spelled i-n-f-r-a-c-t-i-o-n. See, 'cuz I went back and looked at the post in question, and sure enough it said "infraction" underneath.

By the way, you can't give me an infraction for this post. The rules are if you post things in a snarky, self-righteous way while belittling other people's opinions, then you are untouchable. Anyone who complains about my troll attempt would get an infraction, though.

:p

Hm. Nowhere in the text of the PM that gets sent does it actually SAY it's a warning. You just don't get any infraction points, which I'm not sure normal users can see anyways... That's disconcerting.

Anyway, this thread has gone off topic for far too long, so consider it closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.