Best PC Controller

So the other day I finally broke my Steam Link out of the box after a year, and while it was neat and all, I still had to sit next to my computer because the XBox 360 is too close to link the controller to the PC. So then that raised the question: If I was to buy a controller just for PC gaming, what would I get? I would mostly use it for exploration games I assume, having become spoiled by the precision of my mouse for first-person shooters. What are you guys running?

I'm afraid I just deal with kbd/mouse, though there are times I want to sub out my full keyboard for something with only a dozen or so keys on it.

Though a friend of mine swears by the one-handed controller + mouse combo for games like Overwatch, TF2, etc.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The steam controller takes some getting used to, but is decent once you do. Still not as good as K/M, IMO, but for couch gaming, that would be kinda awkward.

I just use 360 controllers honestly. If you can still find wired controllers you don't have to worry about it syncing to your console

figmentPez

Staff member
My favorite is the Steam Controller. It's highly versatile, and especially great for 3rd person action games with both driving and shooting (Saints Row, Batman: Arkham City, Red Faction Guerrrilla, etc.) It's lack of a real D-pad makes it less than ideal for 2D platformers, IMO, though some disagree. See my thread on the Steam Controller for more; with enough practice touchpad & gyro has become nearly as fast and accurate as mouse for me.

Also high on my list are 8Bitdo's line of products. I'm really looking forward to the SN30 Pro+, which got delayed until 2019. Hopefully the Plus version will add analog triggers, which all the other models lack. Other than that, most of their current models are feature rich. The SN30 Pro (no "+") is probably the model to go with, if you're not wanting the portability of the smaller N30 Pro (stupid naming scheme). The SN30 Pro has full sized analog sticks, and it's trigger buttons are in a more conventional placement. Other than that, they both have Bluetooth, rumble, gyro/motion controls, and are compatible with PC, Xbox, Android and Switch.

You can also go with any of the major console controllers. Each has their own advantages / disadvantages. Xbox 360/One controllers are the easiest to set up, but lack gyro. PS4 controllers are the most feature rich, but need to use Steam Input or some other 3rd party drivers/program to work in Windows. I'm not sure about drivers and Switch Pro Controllers, but their biggest drawback is a lack of analog triggers (which may or may not even matter, depending on the game.)

Also I have definitely used my steam link with a keyboard on my lap and the mouse next to me on the couch without too much difficulty, but your mileage may vary.

The steam controller is nice for games not designed for controllers, but if you're going to play a controller-designed game, I find the xbox one-s controller is really nice. The steam link also supports it natively, no dongle required.

figmentPez

Staff member
The steam controller is nice for games not designed for controllers, but if you're going to play a controller-designed game, I find the xbox one-s controller is really nice. The steam link also supports it natively, no dongle required.
I'm not sure if you meant "no dongle required" as a contrast with the Steam Controller, but many people do fail to realize that the Steam Link doesn't need the dongle to connect to the Steam Controller, it has Valve's proprietary wireless standard built-in.

I'm not sure if you meant "no dongle required" as a contrast with the Steam Controller, but many people do fail to realize that the Steam Link doesn't need the dongle to connect to the Steam Controller, it has Valve's proprietary wireless standard built-in.
I'm pretty sure he meant in contrast with other controllers that aren't Steam Controllers, just from context.

figmentPez

Staff member
Steam controller was on sale for $25. That decided it.
It's a great price, but be prepared for a wait for it to ship. After every sale "Why hasn't my controller shipped yet?" becomes the most common thread title on the Steam Community and the sub-Reddit.

It's a great price, but be prepared for a wait for it to ship. After every sale "Why hasn't my controller shipped yet?" becomes the most common thread title on the Steam Community and the sub-Reddit.
They claim to be shipping it today, so we'll see, but I know better that to get excited.

So I got to use the Steam controller once on Agents of Mayhem, and it was rough, but I also didn't take the time to set it up.

That said, I got a copy of Gang Beasts, and it was only reasonable to pick up an Xbox One controller as well so we can multiplayer brawl.

I'm guessing I'll bounce back and forth based on the game I'm playing.