Being Human (BBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else watching this series? I didn't get into the first season, but the second season has been riveting.

The series concept is essentially "A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost share an apartment flat in Bristol". But instead of being a comedy, it's actually a drama series. The supernatural nature of the characters isn't core of the show, however - it's not about them being "monsters". It's about their attempts to lead normal lives. Apparently the show was originally imagined not with supernatural issues, but rather, psychological and medical ones. Mitchell, the vampire, was an addict (according to some reports, a sex addict) trying to stay clean; Annie, the ghost, was an agoraphobe/shut in with OCD; and George was someone who got HIV from being sexually assaulted, and has explosive rage issues as a result. That's basically how they're being played as supernatural beings. This carries on throughout the series, too. When two vampires lure George to assault him, it's played very much like a gay-bashing attack; the apartment is littered with cups of tea because Annie keeps making tea, despite being unable to eat or drink.

It's almost at the end of the second season, but I highly recommend checking it out.

The wife and I started this via Netflix and are addicted. If you can look past the little things, like the vampires not being roasted by the sunlight, then you will enjoy the show.

I've been watching it since the pilot... and i kinda preferred the actors from it actually (same werewolf though), but it still good enough. Thick scottish(?) accent ghost and guy-that-would-fit-in-in-Pulp vampire where just more interesting imo.

If you can look past the little things, like the vampires not being roasted by the sunlight, then you will enjoy the show.
If that bothers you then you shouldn't read Dracula (too bad they didn't keep the "being able to fit through a knife sized crack in walls" for the vamps).

It didn't turn me away from the series, but it was a minor distraction. "Hey they can walk in the sun, interesting."

The vampires don't have to feed off humans, either - they just enjoy it. It's not blood for sustainance, it's draining life-force as a high.

The vampires don't have to feed off humans, either - they just enjoy it. It's not blood for sustenance, it's draining life-force as a high.
Like i said, it's nice to see them bringing back some of the better old concepts (Dracula got young again after feeding, implying he got old from not feeding), and not feeding does seem to make Mitchell weaker.

BTW, what episode are you on, because i saw the ending to s2 months ago... great cliffhanger there at the end.

The vampires don't have to feed off humans, either - they just enjoy it. It's not blood for sustenance, it's draining life-force as a high.
Like i said, it's nice to see them bringing back some of the better old concepts (Dracula got young again after feeding, implying he got old from not feeding), and not feeding does seem to make Mitchell weaker.

BTW, what episode are you on, because i saw the ending to s2 months ago... great cliffhanger there at the end.[/QUOTE]

It's not quite the ending of series 2 - Kemp and Lucy carried out their attack at the end of the last episode.

I love the series. Of course being tragically non British I had to find youtube versions of the pilot and 1st season. Great concept that, as mentioned above, seems like it would be a stupid comedy, but instead turns out to be a fantastically dark drama. As far as the pilot actors vs the series actors I think that all were good fits for the characters. George's actor obviously has it down enough that they would use him again. I think the first actress to play Annie was cuter, but the second actress has a better grasp of the character.
I seem to recall that Michael does drink blood, but needs to steal it from the hospital. But it's been over a year since I've seen an episode.

Did someone say it's available on Netflix?

As far as the pilot actors vs the series actors I think that all were good fits for the characters. George's actor obviously has it down enough that they would use him again. I think the first actress to play Annie was cuter, but the second actress has a better grasp of the character.
The pilot actress made her seem more neurotic, which was nice. But of course playing a character for a pilot vs for a number of episodes does help. I mean at the start i though the new actor for Mitchell kinda sucked, but he got better really fast.

I seem to recall that Michael does drink blood, but needs to steal it from the hospital. But it's been over a year since I've seen an episode.
Yeah, but it is treated as an addiction, and punishing someone by taking out their teeth instead of just killing them does imply they can live without it.

Did someone say it's available on Netflix?
There are other places you can get them too... likes ones ending in .it and starting with eztv

I think they assumed it's a comedy because they're flat mates or something... it's not really comedic at all, George is just neurotic in a funny way sometimes.

I've been meaning to check this out but kinda forgot about it.

While you say it's not a comedy, is it more like a (fantasy) drama with comedic elements? (i.e.: Buffy, Angel)
No, I'd say it's a drama along the lines of Lie to Me, Sons of Anarchy, or Rescue Me. There are some funny moments, but generally it can be rather intense.

Also, being british, it's really hard to compare it to Buffy or Angel, as those shows are as american as can be...

But you should give it a try, as a british show it doesn't have many episodes per season, even if one lasts longer then american episodes.

Also, being british, it's really hard to compare it to Buffy or Angel, as those shows are as american as can be...
True, but I count Doctor Who as a Fantasy Drama with Comedic elements, too, and that's British. :p[/QUOTE]

i wasn't saying you can't hve them in the same genre, just that the humour tends to be very different, giving the show a different feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.