August! It's August! CajunGal is the AotM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Most people say that music is a big part of their lives, and I'm no exception. Some of my fondest memories are singing old standards in the car with my dad and grandpa, listening to (and being a little scared of) my father's "Rite of Spring" record, listening to my dad play Jethro Tull and jazz flute (he dabbles), and going to my brother's jazz and funk shows.

Before buying my first ukulele, I had taken piano, guitar, and private voice lessons. I even got to be in a show at the local University called "Basically Broadway" - a review of a lot of popular stage show songs.

I decided to take up ukulele after feeling a pang of boredom and emptiness. I missed being able to play an instrument, and I wanted to be able to accompany myself while I sang. It was between ukulele and accordion - the accordion because I thought it would be fun to eventually learn some Zydeco. Ultimately, I figured ukulele would be simpler, and I guess I was right, because I learned my first song (played badly at best, but still...) in the first 4 hours of owning one.

I'm very content to be an amateur who plays purely for my own pleasure and for the enjoyment of friends and loved ones. One day I hope to learn to write songs as well.

Some examples:

I'll be Seeing You

The same song as an old-timey radio recording:

Kiss to Build a Dream on

Hey! I was about to give rep, just barely noticing in time that it'd have gone to Dave, not Seej. Cheater! Stealing some poor artist lady's rep like this, tsk tsk.

Cajungal

Staff member
Dave is a cruel and fearless leader. :p

Tin, back when I had more time, I'd practice 2-3 hours a day. This summer was very busy, so I only got to play about an hour a day. Still haven't learned picking... or at least not well.

Awesome! I love "I'll be seeing you"! Both versions are just great! What a fantastic voice... The old timey version sounds like it should be piping through speakers of Rapture in Bioshock :)

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't know what that last part means, but thank you. ^_^

I have some fun ones planned for very soon... maybe even this month. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.