[Thread Game] Ask MindDetective Anything

Dave

Staff member
If money were no issue, weren't currently involved, and you had to plan the "perfect date", what would that date look like?

If money were no issue, weren't currently involved, and you had to plan the "perfect date", what would that date look like?
I got married and had kids so I wouldn't have to plan that kind of thing again!

Off the cuff, I'd say:
- Dinner at a food truck followed by a scenic walk.
- An escape room
- Dessert/coffee and conversation

Do you enjoy your current job/coworkers?
Do you always take (essentially) the same route to work and back?
Have you ever done any work involving T. gondii?

--Patrick

Do you enjoy your current job/coworkers?
- I am on sabbatical this year, so my job has radically changed and I do not see my coworkers at all. When I was NOT on sabbatical, I liked my job a lot, as well as my coworkers. The budget woes in higher-ed I do NOT like.

Do you always take (essentially) the same route to work and back?
- When not on sabbatical, I had two or three routes, depending on if I was dropping off my eldest at school or not. When I get back to Oregon, we will have an entirely new house that is much closer to campus and a straight line there. I will be able to walk or ride my bike every day and I can't wait!

Have you ever done any work involving T. gondii?
I can't get approval to infect undergrads with it. :( So I stick to cognitive and behavioral tests.

It is gluten-free, organic, and probiotic. @Ravenpoe's AMA is chock full of pesticides and gluten. That's basically all it is at this point.
Hmm, if there's one thing I've learned from eating the food my gluten intolerant sister buys its that anything with gluten is always far superior to something without. You don't deserve my question!

Hmm, if there's one thing I've learned from eating the food my gluten intolerant sister buys its that anything with gluten is always far superior to something without. You don't deserve my question!
Gluten filled poison probably IS tastier than gluten-free poison, its true.

What movie (or comic or book, I guess media) do you think is underrated?

Do you have any traditions with your family?
- I have a soft spot for Kevin Costner's The Postman. I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic tale with moral choices. It came on the heels of his other post-apocalyptic Waterworld and I think got a lot of residual flak.
- Not many, actually. Until this last Christmas, we always opened presents one at a time. It takes hours, but I always loved it. This year we had everyone open a present at once and then share what they opened. It wasn't as good but it was an okay compromise for those that don't like the hours and hours it takes.

If you wrote a super hero movie featuring Halforumites, who would be your five heroes and what would be their powers? And in the sequel they face a villainous group of Halforumites, who would they be and what are their powers?

Team leader: @Dave , AKA Banhammer
Poweset: Banish foes to another dimension temporarily. Some minor reality warping powers.

The point man: @GasBandit , AKA the Gas Bandit
Powerset: Convert into a sentient cloud of gas. Also lots of weapons.

Operations: @PatrThom , AKA Precision
Powerset: Tech manipulation. Also some weapons.

The muscle: @Dei , AKA Daystar
Powerset: Nigh invulnerable and enhanced strength.

Defense: @Bubble181 , AKA Bubble
Powerset: Force fields and flight

The villain: @HCGLNS , AKA Hack/Glands
Powerset: Can control the hormones in people to make them act unpredictably

In the sequel!

A new member joins the team: @Celt Z , AKA Ultrasonic.
Powerset: Super speed

They face:

@Frank , AKA Ragewatch
Powerset: Mental manipulation and ESP. Also, deadly with a weapon.

@blotsfan , AKA Disdain
Powerset: Super agility, can create razor sharp blades that he can throw and swing with deadly accuracy

@bhamv3 , AKA Decipher
Powerset: Can understand and speak any language and excels at creating and breaking codes. Uses goggles that provide a holographic disguise at a moment's notice.

@fade , AKA Fade
Powerset: Can see the flaw in a plan, or object and know how to break it. A gifted inventor as well.

@Ravenpoe , AKA Poe Raven
Powerset: Super strength and toughness. Has a crippling mental attack (like a bard's Vicious Mockery)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
How did I end up on the side of the heroes...

Also, you ever go to eat a pork sausage, and find it's got hairs growing all over it?

If you could take a vacation anywhere, real or fictional, where would it be?

Has there ever been someone you looked up to that ended up being really disappointed with? Could be a celebrity or someone local.

And now the lighting round!: Bill or Ted? Soup or salad? Tea or Coffee? Cake or pie? Boromir or Faramir?

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Also, what is something related to your field of expertise that you think would be of benefit for lay persons to know?

If you could take a vacation anywhere, real or fictional, where would it be?
Real: I'd love to visit Africa. Fictional: I'd have to go with some kind of alien planet. Pern? Maybe someplace safer. Naboo?

Has there ever been someone you looked up to that ended up being really disappointed with? Could be a celebrity or someone local.
I struggle with wanting to like Will Smith. He seems cool until he doesn't.

And now the lighting round!: Bill or Ted? Soup or salad? Tea or Coffee? Cake or pie? Boromir or Faramir?
Ted. Salad. Tea. Cake. Yes.

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Also, what is something related to your field of expertise that you think would be of benefit for lay persons to know?
Never trust your own mind. Your memory is faulty. Your decision making process is faulty. Your reasoning processes are faulty. This means you should always be willing to admit being wrong, even on something you are absolutely certain of.

But what if the mess is an empty container of ice cream you have been dreaming about all day?

Ooh, a question to restore the thread!

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

If you're canoeing through the desert and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes does it take to fix the shingles on a dog house?