Are we too docile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Wednesday, myself.

Get it? Christina Ricci? Who played Wednesday on The Adams Family?

*taps the mic* Hello? Hello, is this thing on?

The practical side of me thinks that some good could be accomplished by culling the weak, the ones who don't like to play nice, the criminals, the careless, the thoughtless, and quite a few other groups as well. But the frosted side of me says that wholesale slaughter of population segments isn't just morally wrong, it's a grossly inefficient way to modify undesirable/unsociable behavior.

--Patrick

lol Eugenics is bad, dummies.[DOUBLEPOST=1357977044][/DOUBLEPOST]Also (And this is no way referring to this thread) I love when the weekly "We should cull the weak and stupid" thread comes up on Reddit. Because lord knows we should save the gene pool for only the highest quality neckbeard STEM majors.

I just ask anyone who thinks the weak or ill should be culled if they have a do not resuscitate order on file so that if they suffer a heart attack, or major injury they will abide by their own beliefs and allow nature to take its course.

So far they've all excused themselves from their own program.

lol holy shit at taking the intro to that stupid fucking movie* Idiocracy as scientific fact / reality

*note I still think it's funny but it's...FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

I just ask anyone who thinks the weak or ill should be culled if they have a do not resuscitate order on file so that if they suffer a heart attack, or major injury they will abide by their own beliefs and allow nature to take its course.

So far they've all excused themselves from their own program.
To be perfectly clear, I don't think we should actually start rounding peoplle up and putting them down.

However, I do , in fact, have a DNR order filed, along with my organ donorship and leaving my body (what's left of it after organ donation) to science.

I do , in fact, have a DNR order filed, along with my organ donorship and leaving my body (what's left of it after organ donation) to science.
So the message you are sending to future generations is, essentially, "Learn from my mistakes, people!"

--Patrick

I kind of agree with at least part of what Calleha said. I mean, my girlfriend works in the mentally handicapped industry. It's very nice and great what we're doing and how much we're doing for them (over here - state-organized health care), but sometimes I have to wonder if it's really worth it having 3 adults working in a class of 8 mentally handicapped who will never get above the mental level of a 3 year old. It's great that we're doing it for those that are there, but preventing them from being so numerous might be doing a kindness - and the money can be better spent elsewhere.
I sort of agree with this, with the understanding that we're talking about (mandatory and more extensive) screening of foetuses for major genetic defects, with follow-up termination of pregnancies if something is discovered. I'm tending towards those terminations being voluntary, though I'm unsure as to how much it would change the current situation. Would make the parents more informed and better prepared to handle their child's condition, I guess. To be frank, I'm not sure a cost-benefit analysis is completely in favor of eugenics.

With regards to some opinions put forward in this thread, I must say I'm against 'culling the herd' in situations where we are dealing with live people. Currently, every person obtains certain protections when they are born, protection of life being one of them, and I'm not sure it is such a good idea to start monkeying around with those too much. That road might lead to some dark places.

Status
Not open for further replies.