Anyone into farming here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmazingP

I am into small-scale organic farming. I grow my own green veggies and some herbs for health purposes. Ever since I was a child, I crave for foods that are natural and healthy. I am also tending some fruits and free-range chickens.

I was raised working a farm back in the old days. Then I moved away, became the apprentice of a powerful witch who treated me poorly, sexually abused me and made me beg for scraps. Since then a long an terrible journey occurred and I now stand before you, mighty lord of the dead, bringer of pain, plague and famine, scourge the very flesh. I bend wills and souls, collect life in a jar and topple empires with my legions of undead!

I've grown a carrot or two.

i am a man of science, i experiment with selective breeding, using the work of Brian Smith of UW-RF... working on a larger cumquat myself.

I have a Sugar Cane Farm.We still use Waterbuffalos to till the soil and a dozend or so of workes to harvest the Canewith Machetes.

We use the square foot gardening method, and have considered taking chickens into our backyard for the eggs.

I have to agree that no store produce has ever compared with what we grow ourselves.

We use the square foot gardening method, and have considered taking chickens into our backyard for the eggs.

I have to agree that no store produce has ever compared with what we grow ourselves.
is that because its grown with love? or a lack of petroleum based fertilizers?

Dave

Staff member
I am from a small Iowa community. I was raised & worked on farms while I was growing up. I think growing your own stuff is cool, but more work than a lot of people want to put forth. I mean, how hard is it to raise, feed and slaughter your own chickens as opposed to just going to the store and buying a package of frozen boneless breasts?

North_Ranger

Staff member
My parents grow strawberries and other berries on their backyard. Me, nothing. I used to grow my own peas when I was a kid, but it soon became apparent I have no green thumb. So I buy my fruits and veggies - though I refuse to buy organic food since I consider some of the argumentation for organic farming deeply unsound. But that is something to discuss on another occasion. Still, whenever possible, I prefer local produce. I'm just waiting for new potatoes and the first batch of strawberries to hit to come :)

My parents grow strawberries and other berries on their backyard. Me, nothing. I used to grow my own peas when I was a kid, but it soon became apparent I have no green thumb. So I buy my fruits and veggies - though I refuse to buy organic food since I consider some of the argumentation for organic farming deeply unsound. But that is something to discuss on another occasion. Still, whenever possible, I prefer local produce. I'm just waiting for new potatoes and the first batch of strawberries to hit to come :)
actually you are better off supporting local producers using modern farming methods, generally it actually tastes better than organic(look up the penn and teller epsidoe of bullshit on the subject)

North_Ranger

Staff member
actually you are better off supporting local producers using modern farming methods, generally it actually tastes better than organic(look up the penn and teller epsidoe of bullshit on the subject)
Seen it. And when I say local produce, I mean local produce of any variety. Of course, I should have clarified that I try an' prefer Finnish produce if that is available. You know, if I have the choice between Finnish or foreign.

Some fine entrepreneurs tried to sell "organic maple syrup" in Canada last year. They were lucky that the retail stores threw them off their property before the police and maple syrup producers got involved.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Some fine entrepreneurs tried to sell "organic maple syrup" in Canada last year. They were lucky that the retail stores threw them off their property before the police and maple syrup producers got involved.
Ummm... I think I know where the rub would be, but as I can claim no experience in maple syrup or production thereof, can you please enlighten me? Why would said entrepreneurs would have deserved police attention?

Seen it. And when I say local produce, I mean local produce of any variety. Of course, I should have clarified that I try an' prefer Finnish produce if that is available. You know, if I have the choice between Finnish or foreign.
don't we all? it is extra important here(USA) were food from the super market is traveling 2500+ miles. I get the feeling it is similar in Finland, but I don't have stats on travel time and distance for food for Finland(I apologize, I cant find any studies for your country)

Dave

Staff member
Always wanted to, but don't know a thing about gardening. :(
The best way to learn is to go to a hardware store (Lowes, Home Improvement, etc.) or a gardening store (Earl May, etc.) and ask them what would grow the best if planted right now. Then ask them which would be the easiest. Then go home & plant that shit! Seriously, all you need to do it plant, water occasionally and keep the area free of weeds and you'll have a garden in no time.

I've always wanted to try my hand at window gardening. The only thing I've successfully grown though is basil, everything else ends up dead.

I have a decent sized garden with good assortment of veggies, but no herbs. I've got some guinea fowl, but they are just for getting rid of bugs and making noise. I don't eat them or their eggs, their eggs are small with thick shells so they aren't the best for eating.
My dad owns a good chunk of land around me, which is mainly hay fields. We planted a little bit of oats behind my house this year, which will mostly go to feed my parents horses.

I have a small selection of herbs (oregano, thyme, winter savory, marjoram, rosemary) and they are growing well enough so far. There's also two pots with zucchini plants that we got from my uncle and we have a plum tree and blackberry bush that have been standing there for as long as I can remember, as well as a grapevine along the wall.

P

Philosopher B.

I used to weed and dig garden paths like a motherfucker. My parents were real organic freaks, and we had this huge fuckin' backyard with sheds and a garden and shit. We grew tomatoes, potatoes, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, onions, string beans, lima beans, beets, peppers ... the list is a long one. I have fond memories of eating the food, but not-so-fond memories of digging in the 100-plus degree heat, sweat upon my brow, balls stuck together, etc.

Dave

Staff member
-heh- My Elan sign is still there! Right above the building I've basically abandoned. (Someone can take it over if they choose.)

figmentPez

Staff member
-heh- My Elan sign is still there! Right above the building I've basically abandoned. (Someone can take it over if they choose.)
It's an old picture. I haven't logged on in a while. I love our server, but I'm so busy with other stuff.

I have interest in farming, but am unwilling to make the time to practice. When I have tried my hand at it, my thumb's been pretty green. There are few Summer joys better than biting into a Sun-heated ripe tomato that's bright red and juicy.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.