Anyone else sick of the royal wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiarn

Bravely Bold Sir Drifter, rode forth from Halforums. He was not afraid to die, Oh Brave Sir Drifter!

As to Espy's point: well, given the broad (derp) brush G-T was painting with, I don't think it's unfair on Charlie's part to read it as broadly as possible as opposed to regarding it anecdotally. It wasn't "all the females I know go for that rubbish," it was "They(females) go for that rubbish."
I can't say if it's fair or not, but it seems to be a very strange logical conclusion to arrive at leaving me to think what we might actually be having here is issues with the English Language.

He called that comment "misogynistic". "Misogynistic".

So, according to the definition of the word that comment was characterized by GT's HATRED of women. I don't see how any person couldn't see that as both a huge reach and, without any hateful language or context being used by GT, an almost impossible conclusion to arrive at (unless of course Charlie knows something about GT we don't, in which case he's reading in his knowledge of GT into the statement, but somehow I'm guessing Charlie and GT don't hang out every weekend).

Now I would argue that the comment in question is actually, since we can't in any way prove it's misogynistic nor does it contain any actual language to imply misogyny, "sexist". Sexism is "attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles." which clearly the comment does. But as far as I can tell, "sexism" does not and can not automatically equal misogynistic.
Make sense?

W

Wasabi Poptart

So, am I a misogynist if I agree that women do in fact eat this shit up? I mean, I don't think a whole lot of men care about weddings, including their own except to nod their heads, smile at "Bridezilla", and go to cake tastings because, hey, free cake.

So, am I a misogynist if I agree that women do in fact eat this shit up? I mean, I don't think a whole lot of men care about weddings, including their own except to nod their heads, smile at "Bridezilla", and go to cake tastings because, hey, free cake.
Depends on what kind of grasp of the english language whoever you ask has WP

North_Ranger

Staff member
I've been kinda put off by chicken wings and such since I visited the Psycho Bitch Queen's place when we were still dating. She had a half-eaten barbecued chicken on her living room table - about a month old. I swear, that thing was trying to get back on its feet and escape...
I loves me some chicken in other forms, though. Tomorrow, in fact, I intend to make chicken risotto ^^

I love this Forum. Where else could you go from wedding to chicken by way of Monty Python? And some of it down to me! I'm so proud!!

FW. She has lost weight since those photos.

Charon. I'm not sure if that was a Pro or Con, but as one who has followed your career from Marine moonlighting as Mall security, through marriage, fatherhood, and into the Constabulary, I will give you the benefit of the doubt!:)

Mysogynist? Me, who thought of becoming a suicide bomber for the fist full of Virgins? I must admit though that it is not a job that I was dying for.

Dave

Staff member
You know, I totally stayed out of this thread as I don't give a shit about the royal wedding. In fact, I came in to talk about the fact that an historical outbreak of tornadoes swept through the South yesterday, killing over 150 people and razing entire towns. CNN this morning? The wedding was the top story.

J

Jiarn

You act shocked Dave. I figured you would have said "Par for course humanity....."

Dave

Staff member
I'm glad they provided the birth certificate so we can get back to the real news of the Royal Wedding at least
No, Trump and the birth certificate was MSNBC. FOX had about the ambush on the soldiers in Afghanistan.

None of them had the storm but I still declare FOX the winner.

You know, I totally stayed out of this thread as I don't give a shit about the royal wedding. In fact, I came in to talk about the fact that an historical outbreak of tornadoes swept through the South yesterday, killing over 150 people and razing entire towns. CNN this morning? The wedding was the top story.
We've had tornadoes down here!?! :aaah:

W

Wasabi Poptart

Really? When I checked CNN this morning, and granted it was probably many hours after you were on there, the top story was about the devastation in the South due to the tornadoes and the 100 year flood. It had a highlighted yellow box since it was a developing story.

Had a special order for 2 dozen Royal Wedding donuts.

ROYAL WEDDING DONUTS

Royal....wedding....donuts.

Heart shaped donut (because I guess we had some left over from Valentine's day) with Raspberry filling (so it bleeds?) with white frosting ('cause you know....white folk I guess) and chocolate drizzle (because fuck it, that's why)

And I haven't even seen these things advertised! Someone called in and assumed we would have one. We didn't have an Easter donut or a St. Patty's day donut (not an official one at least) but we sure as hell have one for this!

oh fuck.

a thing on the internet says that donuts cost 89 cents but they cost 94 cents!

this is going to be hell.

Zappit

Staff member
You know it won't end after the wedding. Then it becomes the baby watch, and the cycle starts again. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.