Anyone else sick of the royal wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wasabi Poptart

I'm not sick of the wedding, but the coverage of every minor detail is a bit much. "Kate looked lovely as she strolled to the loo. She was wearing a Hoidy-Toidy designed dress which is expected to be seen in knock-offs on Wal-Mart racks across the US. The piece of toilet paper stuck to her shoe as she exited just shows how down-to-earth she really is."

I think the wedding itself is kind of neat. For me it's nostalgic because I did watch Charles and Diana get married on tv and I remember when both boys were born.

North_Ranger

Staff member
You know, Grytpipe, not all of us like women who resemble blow-up dolls. I think Kate had that nice "girl next door" look going on a while ago. I don't know what's the situation now, I haven't been following the whole wedding shebang with any special interest.

Ah, missed that.

Now I'm not saying your "/" doesn't sum up your argument, it's clearly a polished declaration but just stick with me here:
If his experience is that it's the women around him who go in for such "rubbish", why is his generalization automatically misogynistic rather than merely an experiential generalization with no hate or fear of women attached to it?

I believe that our esteemed colleague is referring to our casual approval (or disapproval, as the case may be) of the young Ms. Middleton's figure. He has expressed a level of sarcastic amusement that is both profoundly cutting in it's asperity and stark in its level of harshness; so much so, in fact, that I feel like less than a human being for being amused by the jocularity being passed around so casually in this thread.

That'll show me.

Stienman, are you kidding me? For example: let's say instead of the royal wedding someone was complaining about being blitzed by a fast-food chicken commercial, and someone else said: "well, it's led by blacks; you know how they love fried chicken," would you not say that's racist? I would.

As to Espy's point: well, given the broad (derp) brush G-T was painting with, I don't think it's unfair on Charlie's part to read it as broadly as possible as opposed to regarding it anecdotally. It wasn't "all the females I know go for that rubbish," it was "They(females) go for that rubbish."

J

Jiarn

Yeah but we all know how he blows up at any mention of gay bashing or women's rights being "violated". So it's expected to react thusly to his reactions on said subjects.

figmentPez

Staff member
Stienman, are you kidding me? For example: let's say instead of the royal wedding someone was complaining about being blitzed by a fast-food chicken commercial, and someone else said: "well, it's led by blacks; you know how they love fried chicken," would you not say that's racist? I would.
Am I doing the same thing when I roll my eyes at the amount of fast food places advertising their fish sandwiches and shrimp meals the last couple months? You know that it's all aimed at Catholics and their celebration of Lent. That's the whole reason that McDonalds has a McFish at all, rubbish sandwich that it is. An abomination on a bun, just so they'll still have something to sell to Catholics on Fridays during Lent. I didn't realize that it was so prejudiced to talk about that.

No, you're not. You're rolling your eyes at the product, and the marketing around said product, not the consumers (unless you're actually saying all Catholics love that shit?).

I still don't get that one... who the hell doesn't love fried chicken?!

Status
Not open for further replies.