[Question] Any welders on the forums?

So, theoretically speaking, if I wanted to get into hobby welding without going to trade school (because who goes to school during a pandemic if they have the choice?), and what I was looking at doing is making novelty toys out of mild steel, does anyone know what the best setup would be? Because it would be really fun to get into hobby welding and making fun little designs out of mild steel - but aside from knowing that there are TIG and MIG welding, I really couldn't tell you anything beyond that. Is there anyone here that can put the basics into a one post breakdown so I don't have to become an expert at welding gasses AND tear gasses?

Afraid the highest I’ve gone is soldering, but if anyone wants to speak up on brazing and/or welding, I will be watching with interest, too.

—Patrick

I've only ever used stick (arc welding). MIG is supposed to be really easy to pick up, so if you're just making toys and not wanting to take classes, I'd probably look into that. Also supposed to be better for thinner gauges and laying down intricate lines, which sounds like what you're interested in (at least compared to stick, dunno about TIG).

IANAW, but the one thing I would suggest for beginners is to realize that if you get something from Horrid Fright (er, I mean, Harbor Freight), it will probably break on you after the first few times you use it.

IANAW, but the one thing I would suggest for beginners is to realize that if you get something from Horrid Fright (er, I mean, Harbor Freight), it will probably break on you after the first few times you use it.
Oh yeah, I only use harbor freight for tools I don't want to last more than a few weeks under optimum conditions.

I have my share of Harbor Freight stuff. Some of it stinks, but most of it has been pretty good. That said I stay away from their power tools. Heard their welders actually are okay, though I think the duty cycle sucks.