Another reason to love Barack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm of the opinion that the demonization of alcohol and the "forbidden fruit" effect are largely to blame for the problems the US has in underage/collegiate drinking. In germany (and much of Europe) you can have any drink you want just as soon as you're big enough to reach across the bar and pick it up, and they don't have this problem.

S

Steven Soderburgin

GasBandit said:
I'm of the opinion that the demonization of alcohol and the "forbidden fruit" effect are largely to blame for the problems the US has in underage/collegiate drinking. In germany (and much of Europe) you can have any drink you want just as soon as you're big enough to reach across the bar and pick it up, and they don't have this problem.
Sounds like they are spreading the alcohol around.

:smug:

figmentPez

Staff member
The comic strip Crankshaft from Thursday:

:Leyla: Is anyone else disturbed by the thought of a schoolbus driver in an ice cream truck circling the block to check-out teenage girls?

GasBandit

Staff member
A tube top and short shorts = "LOOK AT ME, BOYS! DON'T YOU WISH YOU WERE INSIDE ME?"

(in before "Grass in the park")

-- Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm --

Kissinger said:
GasBandit said:
Sounds like they are spreading the alcohol around.

:smug:
I know you're just being a douche, but the fact is they're not. With all the mystique of the forbidden removed from alcohol, it ceases to be the all-consuming desired substance of pure rebellion that it is for American teens.

fade

Staff member
GasBandit said:
I just did a very brief google search on alcoholism in Germany, and I got quite a few hits. A lot of them for scientific studies. The results also showed me the drinking age is 16, which seems a little older than "big enough to reach across the bar".

figmentPez

Staff member
GasBandit said:
I'm of the opinion that the demonization of alcohol and the \"forbidden fruit\" effect are largely to blame for the problems the US has in underage/collegiate drinking. In germany (and much of Europe) you can have any drink you want just as soon as you're big enough to reach across the bar and pick it up, and they don't have this problem.
Yeah, no problems with drinking in Europe:

Britons warned over rise in Greek holiday 'binge-drinking' rapes

German bar-owner jailed over fatal drink duel with teen

Alcohol abuse spikes for Germans over 50

I've also read reports that binge drinking by teens is rising all over Europe, but I can't find the article.

figmentPez said:
I've also read reports that binge drinking by teens is rising all over Europe, but I can't find the article.
Meh. And upping the drinking age would only change one thing: more people breaking the law. You can't battle such problems with a simple law like that.

figmentPez

Staff member
Seraphyn said:
Meh. And upping the drinking age would only change one thing: more people breaking the law. You can't battle such problems with a simple law like that.
Did I say anything about the law? No, I didn't. Frankly I'm positive that the legal drinking age is not the deciding factor in who abuses alcohol and at what age. It's a much more complex issue, and I was just pointing out that it's foolish to hold up Europe as a perfect example of responsible drinking.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nothing is perfect, but while europe still has occasional troubles, they don't have the situation America has, where every single american between the age of 17 and 22 is a de-facto alcoholic. (picture in link form due to NSFW)

Sure, he was just "turning around" , my aching butt.

I'm a guy and I know when a guy is checking a girl out. That was full on presidential "DAYUM!"

TeKeo said:
Barack did that one pretty smooth, pretending to be doing something else.

Sarkozy didn't even try to pretend. :rofl:
He's not the one married to a chick that looks like she could break him in half though...

Status
Not open for further replies.