American Middle-Class Malaise

Ah, playing the long game, I see.

That's pretty much any significant purchase these days. Rich people are the only ones allowed to buy anything brand new, and you can have your turn with it only once they're done enjoying it.

--Patrick
True enough. I look at €1200 phones, to be replaced yearly, and really do think people who can afford that are...a different class than most people.

GasBandit

Staff member
Buying a car new has been for suckers for at least as long as I've been alive, anyway. Loses half its value the instant you drive it off the lot. Get one a year or three used, drive it for a bit, then trade it in on another 1-3 year old used car for the biggest bang for your buck balanced with "new and shiny."

I've never in my life purchased a new car, because while I might spend thousands on magic cards, spending tens of thousands on a car is just something I'm too cheap for. Every car I've ever owned I bought used for around $5k, paid in cash

@MindDetective
I’m pragmatic enough to realize there is probably some kind of feedback mechanism at work. There are those predisposed to rugged, selfishly individualistic "What's mine is mine and you can't have any!" behavior which is probably a desirable trait when a population is spread thinly over a large area and every individual must be self-reliant in order for the whole species to survive.

--Patrick