AMA Because I Wanna Be One of the Cool Kids

Given your interest in and experience with wrestling and yoga, have you considered a career in some physical art or another recently?

Cats or dogs?

How would you describe the kind of humor you most enjoy?
1) I've considered becoming a yoga instructor. I think there's an untapped market for DDP Yoga around here, for example. But I don't think it's something I could make a living off of. I've read up on people becoming instructors and how they have to really work on selling themselves to make any kind of decent money.

2) I'm owned by a cat, but I love dogs, too. Used to have a dog growing up. If I had to choose between having one or the other it'd probably be a d - OW! OW! DAMMIT, DIOMEDES, STOP! OKAY OKAY! CATS! ALWAYS CATS!

3) Probably really silly or lame "dad" humour. Or really well-done slapstick.[DOUBLEPOST=1450364619,1450364585][/DOUBLEPOST]
What happened that made me start to associate Dave Grohl with you? :)

Don't answer that. I don't know the how or why, but somehow that became a thing, and when I see Dave doing something awesome, it makes me think happy thoughts about Nick, and I hope some of them eventually make their way to you. :D
Uh...okay?[DOUBLEPOST=1450364677][/DOUBLEPOST]
Who would win in a fight, Superman or Goku?
I...don't really care? Seriously, I've never been a fan of the whole "who would win" question. I don't care. I care more about why they would be fighting.

What was the hardest part of writing your books?
The times when I'd hit a block and don't know where to take it next. That kills me because I want to keep writing, but can't because I write in sequential order, so not knowing where to take the story next is incredibly frustrating.

The times when I'd hit a block and don't know where to take it next. That kills me because I want to keep writing, but can't because I write in sequential order, so not knowing where to take the story next is incredibly frustrating.
How did you end up solving it? I mean, I've written 20-30 page reports, but I "cured" my writer's block by discovering new ways to pad out the information I had already written. I can't imagine that works for story writing.

How did you end up solving it? I mean, I've written 20-30 page reports, but I "cured" my writer's block by discovering new ways to pad out the information I had already written. I can't imagine that works for story writing.
I dunno, seems to work for GRR Martin and Jordan. "I've written 5 chapters progressing the story. Hmmm. Don't know where to go. Let's describe the meal in more detail. Nope, still not 1,000 pages. Let's describe the weather in more detail. NNNope. Okay, dresses." etc

I dunno, seems to work for GRR Martin and Jordan. "I've written 5 chapters progressing the story. Hmmm. Don't know where to go. Let's describe the meal in more detail. Nope, still not 1,000 pages. Let's describe the weather in more detail. NNNope. Okay, dresses." etc
Really makes me appreciate Isaac Asimov and Agatha Christie.[DOUBLEPOST=1450476632,1450476483][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh so yeah, that leads to a question, Nick. Which of those styles do you prefer: Martin's description-laden prose, or Asimov's description-void writing?

Personally, I've solved it a few ways:

1) Just start writing something without giving it any thought. Basically free-writing whatever comes to mind. Funny enough, some of my best stuff has come from that.
2) Step away from it for awhile or put it on the back burner to work on something else. When I came back to it, I suddenly knew what to do next.
3) Writing out question after question about what you want to do with the scene or where you want to take your characters. Or in my case, what mystery I was trying to come up with. I wrote several dozen questions to myself for Dame before I finally came up with how the mystery would work.
4) Ask yourself what the character (or characters) in question want. What would they do next in order to get what they want?[DOUBLEPOST=1450481668,1450481581][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh so yeah, that leads to a question, Nick. Which of those styles do you prefer: Martin's description-laden prose, or Asimov's description-void writing?
Probably the latter, though I haven't read much Asimov. I prefer the story to stick with the plot or character development without getting bogged down too much with world describing. A few well-written or well-placed sentences, even dialogue, can do a world of good compared to paragraphs of description.

Heh, no pun intended on "world of good."

If you want something a bit more bite-sized, I recommend the book "Azazel," which is a collection of stories with a central theme rather than an epic space opera that will eat your free time (Foundation, etc).

--Patrick
The Foundation series won't eat up too much of his time. There's only 3 books to it.

But I would really suggest his robot stories as a better colection of bite sized chunks. Or some of the slightly more eclectic collections such as Earth Is Room Enough (which includes some robot stories some standalones and some of Asimov's entertaining commentary on the works)

And for novels, The Gods Themselves is excellent, and The End of Eternity is the most interesting take on time travel I've read.

(I'm just not such a fan of latter-day Asimov)

What do you think is the prettiest place in our city?

indoors or outdoors?

coke or pepsi?

Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie?

Why are you totally not a lizard person?

What do you think is the prettiest place in our city?
For me, right here:
IMG_20150527_145930.jpg

It's a spot on the biking trail out in Bayer's Lake.

indoors or outdoors?
If it's nice out, outdoors. If it's raining or snowing or anything like that? Indoors.

coke or pepsi?
Root Beer

Jennifer Aniston or Angelina Jolie?
Neither

Why are you totally not a lizard person?
Old joke from when @Cheesy1 took one of my pictures and made me look like a lizard person from V.

How far in is that waterfall from the trail start? Possible to walk in?
I think so. I know there's a spot not far into the trail for people to park their cars (accessible from somewhere else; I don't know where). It was about a 5-10 minute bike ride for me. Not sure how long it'd take walking.

This actually makes me want to ask:

Hey @ThatNickGuy, what do you think would be the best superman story to adapt into a movie?
You know, I'm actually not sure. I'd probably do something like All Star Superman, where you take the best bits of the mythology - even, or especially, the crazy, over the top stuff like Krypto and Titanno - and tell a new story using said mythology. As long as the colour palette uses bright, primary colours, Superman isn't a dick, and they remember the word "fun," then I'd be happy.

B

BErt

You might have answered this before, but... How is Red Son? I like the concept, but I'm not sure if I want to bother...

You might have answered this before, but... How is Red Son? I like the concept, but I'm not sure if I want to bother...
It's...okay. Personally, I think it's way overhyped. It's not bad, but I've read so many other Elseworld stories that were better.

As an Elseworld, it doesn't really do anything that other Elseworlds have done (showing us alternate versions of DC characters, usually fighting Lex Luthor, etc). As a Superman story, it follows the same beats as most Elseworlds where he's bad: he starts out bad, then eventually sees the light. Though in other ones, they end with him wearing a version of the classic costume. This one doesn't. As a Lex Luthor story, though? It's pretty solid. He's really the star of the book.

Plus, if anything else, the ending is worth the price of admission. Though I'm 99% certain that part was written by Grant Morrison, or at least he suggested it to Mark Millar.
I'd say it's worth reading. Just not paying full price for it. If you can get it cheap or borrow it out from the library, I say go for it.

Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how? Has the fear of breaking a bone ever kept you from doing something you considered doing?

Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how? Has the fear of breaking a bone ever kept you from doing something you considered doing?
Closest I've come is breaking a knuckle from punching a wall when I was stressed out at Subway. Had to wear a sling or brace around my pinky finger for a week.

A friend of mine (who was also a co-worker) kept making fun of me by going, "Hey Nick! Look what I can do that you can't! Nee-nee!" and scratched his nose with his pinky.

As for keeping me from doing something, I am terrified to do anything like sky diving or crazy stunts like that.[DOUBLEPOST=1480981087,1480980999][/DOUBLEPOST]
How are you doing? It's the only thing I'm interested in.
Better, I guess. As I said in another thread, I think my meds are starting to do a good job. Still unemployed, still living with my parents, and still considering giving up on writing, but I'm okay, I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1480981164][/DOUBLEPOST]
re: the thread title. You are one of the cool kids around here.
Lying Question Mark.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Better, I guess. As I said in another thread, I think my meds are starting to do a good job. Still unemployed, still living with my parents, and still considering giving up on writing, but I'm okay, I guess.
IIRC the unemployment is due largely to your meds not working before, correct? So this is the first step and it's a big one. After you get the meds right, you can kick the shit out of a job, get a place of your own, and start living. Man, am I pulling for you!

And don't give up on writing. You're too good at it. So Dill hasn't taken off yet. Be patient. If it doesn't happen you know that you've written something people enjoy.

If you were writing a superman movie what would the big bullet points be?

For me it would be

Actually, that's pretty good right there. You could do big screen version of the episode Tools of the Trade, where Intergang gets otherworldly weapons from Apokolips. Or instead of Apokalips/Darkseid, you could tease the technology is coming from Brainiac (using the Kryptonian origin from the cartoon). Maybe make John Corbin one of the head thugs and turn him into Brainiac at some point during the movie.

Although, I don't mind him discussing things taking a toll on him. That's a core of his character. He cares so much and he hates that he can't be there for everyone and save everyone.

I'd also keep both of the Kents alive. I don't like that they basically killed off Pa Kent to keep in line with the old movie.

If you knew the person had consented, would you eat human meat?
To extend it, let's say that scientist figured out how good meat tastes via simple DNA testing, and you were found to have the tastiest meat on the planet.

Would you consent to be cloned, sans sentience (ie, no nervous system), but in every other way being exactly like you, so your clones could be sold by the pound? Assume that you and whoever inherits your estate would receive payment for each pound of clone meat sold.

Further, would you buy some of yourself to verify your tastiness?[DOUBLEPOST=1480990201,1480990170][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, well I guess that answers my question too... :awesome: