AMA Because I Wanna Be One of the Cool Kids

What things, activities, or thoughts make you happy and feel good?

What book or series, aside from your own works, would you encourage everyone to read at least once in their life?

fade

Staff member
This is Texas, and it's still pretty warm here, so I can find you a slaughtered and partially cooked armadillo on the way home, probably.

If you had one choice of a dinner for a special occasion, and money was no object, what would you eat?

If you could have dinner with any one person (and it can be an entree of Armadillo if you really want) and that person could be from past or present, who would it be?

What things, activities, or thoughts make you happy and feel good?

What book or series, aside from your own works, would you encourage everyone to read at least once in their life?
1) These days, I'm honesty not sure. Yoga, biking, and writing, I suppose. I feel great after doing any of these. If I write around 2,000+ words in one sitting, I feel amazingly accomplished.

As for thoughts? I...don't know how to answer that right now.

2) Books. Well, some of my favourites include Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, and Daniel Keyes' Flower for Algernon. So those, for sure. I also really liked AJ Jacob's The Year of Living Bibically and Richard Matheson's What Dreams May Come, because while I'm not a particularly religious person any more, I'm still fascinated to study different spiritual perspectives. Maybe a part of me still wants to find some form of spirituality in my life.

On the writing side, I firmly believe every writer should read Stephen King's On Writing.

As for series, I have a few:

-Simon R Green's Nightside series (12 books). People have compared it with the Harry Dresden books, since they're basically a fantasy detective series. Of any books, these were my biggest inspiration for Dill.
-John Zakour's sci-fi detective series, starting with The Plutonium Blonde, for the same reason: major inspiration for Dill. The Nightside series was the primary one, but this is a close second. And they're hilarious.
-Robert J Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax trilogy. Really great sci-fi trilogy about our world discovering an alternate universe where the neanderthal species, rather than us humans, are the dominant species. Really, I love anything written by Robert J Sawyer. He's Canadian and he writes good, smart sci-fi.
-Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy. It's been a long time since I read these, but I remember finding it near impossible to put them down at the time.[DOUBLEPOST=1446764726,1446764674][/DOUBLEPOST]
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Do you ask that of all your prey or just like the sound of it?[DOUBLEPOST=1446764863][/DOUBLEPOST]
What would you want in a "perfect" blanket? What would it be made of? What would it feel like?

--Patrick
I already have it. I have this amazingly warm blanket with a wolf design on it. Not sure what it's made of. Fleece, maybe? The tag came off years ago. It's very heavy and it's great to bundle up under during cold nights. I've had it for over a decade and it's still in great condition.[DOUBLEPOST=1446764977][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you had one choice of a dinner for a special occasion, and money was no object, what would you eat?
Probably something healthy and vegetarian. I'm not really one for fancy food or restaurants. But there was this amazing place in Toronto that served all vegetarian meals. Every single dish was amazing. Can I choose to just eat there for the rest of my life instead of spending ungodly amounts of money on just one meal at a hoity toity place?[DOUBLEPOST=1446765059][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you could have dinner with any one person (and it can be an entree of Armadillo if you really want) and that person could be from past or present, who would it be?
Unquestionably, it'd be Jack Kirby.

Probably something healthy and vegetarian. I'm not really one for fancy food or restaurants. But there was this amazing place in Toronto that served all vegetarian meals. Every single dish was amazing. Can I choose to just eat there for the rest of my life instead of spending ungodly amounts of money on just one meal at a hoity toity place?
Of course you can, this is your fantasy meal. Don't let anyone else tell you what kind of food to enjoy.

Ok fine, favorite Christmas cookie? So help me god, you'd better not say you don't like cookies.

Favorite cartoon theme song?
Does the movie version count?

[DOUBLEPOST=1446776908,1446776862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok fine, favorite Christmas cookie? So help me god, you'd better not say you don't like cookies.
My mother bakes all the time. I've gotten so fat from her cookies. Though she's more into baking bread and ham rolls for Christmas.

As far as cookies in general, it'd probably be her chocolate chip cookies.

What is the perfect gift someone could give you?

Where is your dream trip? And would your answer change if you could have one dream trip solo and one with a group?

If you win the lottery tomorrow what would your first truly silly/totally frivolous purchase be?

What is the perfect gift someone could give you?

Where is your dream trip? And would your answer change if you could have one dream trip solo and one with a group?

If you win the lottery tomorrow what would your first truly silly/totally frivolous purchase be?
1) Gift cards. Seriously, it's better than guessing what I want or run the risk I already bought it. Comic store, MEC, Steam. I'll never say no to those ones, especially.
2) I honestly don't know. There are some places I'd love to go, like New Orleans (to do a "Gabriel Knight locations tour"), maybe take a train trip all across Canada, the British Isles, etc. I don't really have a "dream" trip, I guess. And I don't think it'd be any fun to do it alone, anyway.
3) This will sound really boring, but pay off my student loans. And then, depending on how much I won, help a few friends pay off theirs, as well. Maybe buy a good, reliable car.

I already have it. I have this amazingly warm blanket with a wolf design on it. Not sure what it's made of. Fleece, maybe? The tag came off years ago. It's very heavy and it's great to bundle up under during cold nights. I've had it for over a decade and it's still in great condition.
That sounds exactly like the blanket my MiL got me for our first Christmas.

Given your interest in and experience with wrestling and yoga, have you considered a career in some physical art or another recently?

Cats or dogs?

How would you describe the kind of humor you most enjoy?

What happened that made me start to associate Dave Grohl with you? :)

Don't answer that. I don't know the how or why, but somehow that became a thing, and when I see Dave doing something awesome, it makes me think happy thoughts about Nick, and I hope some of them eventually make their way to you. :D