[Question] Am I being unreasonably uninclusive here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd honestly be more weirded out if I went to a party hosted by someone I barely knew...and was given a present. You know what the best thing about parties are? Not about what you get them, getting wasted, or anything like that, it's about hanging out with people. From what I skimmed of the thread (because I really don't want to focus too much energy on another Norris-esque thread), you don't seem to have a problem with the guy. I don't see what the big honking deal is. You're blowing this way out of proportion. Just like you're blowing out of proportion pretty much everything everyone is saying...again.

M

makare

Why do you care what these guys think anyway? You obviously don't agree with them. Their opinions are irrelevant to what you want and can do. Giving them more and more opportunities to bitch at you doesn't do anything to help you is my point. So if you think you are defending yourself you are mistaken.

1) Make him feel welcome by being positive about his presence. "Nice to see you again, what are you up to now, etc." Not being close, he would not have expected a gift. 2) Make your friends feel like they've done a positive thing by including one friend with another friend. You say you want to be close to dear ones... Give this guy a chance to be one of those dear ones. That's literally all you have to do to be not just decent, but the best host.
You accused Mathias of being Scrooge but you're the one who can't welcome a total stranger into an intimate celebration, so...
And since the event is still six days from now and no one but you bastards are privy to this line of thought, I've shirked neither of those obligations.
Added at: 18:59
I'd honestly be more weirded out if I went to a party hosted by someone I barely knew...and was given a present. You know what the best thing about parties are? Not about what you get them, getting wasted, or anything like that, it's about hanging out with people. From what I skimmed of the thread (because I really don't want to focus too much energy on another Norris-esque thread), you don't seem to have a problem with the guy. I don't see what the big honking deal is. You're blowing this way out of proportion. Just like you're blowing out of proportion pretty much everything everyone is saying...again.
By skimming it, you of course missed that I have welcomed not just Best Man but Miss W's boyfriend to the gathering, changed it to accommodation them better, and am still looking forward to it.
And I know I would feel tremendously awkward and out of place if I were at a party I hadn't been invited to and was the only person to not get a gift. Not in the "you shoulda got me something" way but in the "why did you bring me here" way.

And since the event is still six days from now and no one but you bastards are privy to this line of thought, I've shirked neither of those obligations.
But... but you have started to shirk it. There's time to change though. I'm not saying "put on a happy face and play nice". I mean literally want to be around him. Be happy, be grateful that he is coming starting now. Be excited to see him. That way, when you do, it will be legitimate pleasure. It's trite but negative thinking results in negative emotion. If you plan on a having a bad time, boy will you ever.

Honestly, I just think you care too much about Christmas. I get that you planned on having a small gathering, but I don't see why it is such a big deal that it isnt. Your plan was to eat dinner, give gifts, and watch a movie. I'm sure the guy would understand if you apologized and said you couldn't afford another gift on such short notice. Other than that, I don't understand how an extra person that you like would make a difference. If he's the friends' best man, I doubt theres anything that would really be said in front of you that wouldn't be said in front of him. I can't imagine them having a different reaction to the gifts because other people were there. And watching a movie is just sitting there for an hour and a half without talking, unless if you want to make snide comments, but that doesn't sound very personal and intimate either. Basically, I don't see why you can't just forget Steak N Shake and have the same gathering with one or two extra people involved.

Why do you care what these guys think anyway? You obviously don't agree with them. Their opinions are irrelevant to what you want and can do. Giving them more and more opportunities to bitch at you doesn't do anything to help you is my point. So if you think you are defending yourself you are mistaken.
Because I'm bored and lonely? Because I literally have nothing better to do today? Because some broken part of my brain refuses to let any challenge of my character go answered? I don't know. It has killed the shit out of some time today though.

Because the guests you actually care about want this dude there. And you are more interested in not being slightly put out than in letting them have their friend along.
The friend who is coming with them, you mean? The friend who I said "yes, bring him along" about?

But... but you have started to shirk it. There's time to change though. I'm not saying "put on a happy face and play nice". I mean literally want to be around him. Be happy, be grateful that he is coming starting now. Be excited to see him. That way, when you do, it will be legitimate pleasure. It's trite but negative thinking results in negative emotion. If you plan on a having a bad time, boy will you ever.
I may not have been clear on this, but with the change of venue and attendant change in tone, I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I will be a part of their group. :) With the recent drift I've had from some of my friends from high school, you damn well better realize I'm happy to be included once more.

And I know I would feel tremendously awkward and out of place if I were at a party I hadn't been invited to and was the only person to not get a gift. Not in the "you shoulda got me something" way but in the "why did you bring me here" way.
You might think or feel that way, but they might not. All it takes is a "Sorry I couldn't get you guys something, too" and don't make a big deal about it because it's NOT A BIG DEAL. It's just a present.

Honestly, I just think you care too much about Christmas. I get that you planned on having a small gathering, but I don't see why it is such a big deal that it isnt. Your plan was to eat dinner, give gifts, and watch a movie. I'm sure the guy would understand if you apologized and said you couldn't afford another gift on such short notice.
It would still be awkward. Or I would feel awkward in the same situation.

Other than that, I don't understand how an extra person that you like would make a difference. If he's the friends' best man, I doubt theres anything that would really be said in front of you that wouldn't be said in front of him.
The little sister and Mrs. M might not be so open about their highly personal funny stories. He wouldn't know a damn thing about what's been going on in Grand Rapids. Etc.

I can't imagine them having a different reaction to the gifts because other people were there.
Its the personalized and somewhat gooshy notes that would be weird.

And watching a movie is just sitting there for an hour and a half without talking, unless if you want to make snide comments, but that doesn't sound very personal and intimate either. Basically, I don't see why you can't just forget Steak N Shake and have the same gathering with one or two extra people involved.
MST-ing with friends is the best part of watching a movie, man. And which would you prefer - hanging out in some guy you met once's basement or hanging out at a restaurant you and friends hang out frequently? Besides, plan made. Stick to plan. I'm not Mitt Romney over here.

I think everything that has to be said,has been said. It is up to him now and as usual nothing we say can change his mind.Sometimes I wonder if he is just a really good troll.
(Anybody have a Fry "Not sure if trolling,or just tremendously thickheaded" image?)

How can my mind not be changed? I took the thread's advice by post 8. Posted proof in post 11. Further proof:

What exactly am I being thickheaded about? I admit that my initial expectations were overly specific, that I should have expressed them to my guests, and that there's a chance that Best Man wouldn't have felt left out (even though, having been in pretty much the same situation, there's a good chance he would have). But I solved the problem, created a solution everyone seems to be happy with, and didn't let my guests in on any of this. So far as they know, I opted to invite more people and decided my house was no longer the right venue. Ta-da.

Then stop making a big deal about it and go have a good time.
I will, just as soon as it is Sunday night at 5PM. Until then, I'm going to defend myself against accusations that I want to fuck someone I think of as family.

@Shego - Yeeeaahh. If I actually worried one lick about finals I might find something better to do (or raeg against), but as it is I'm having a "bathing and pants was optional, wasn't it" kind of day.

Or you could just chalk it down to Mathias being Chaz-like and walk away.
That would require me to not take things way too personally. We both know that's not going to happen, it never has happened (in my decade of message boarding all over the net), and I've accepted this.

How can my mind not be changed? I took the thread's advice by post 8. Posted proof in post 11. Further proof:

What exactly am I being thickheaded about? I admit that my initial expectations were overly specific, that I should have expressed them to my guests, and that there's a chance that Best Man wouldn't have felt left out (even though, having been in pretty much the same situation, there's a good chance he would have). But I solved the problem, created a solution everyone seems to be happy with, and didn't let my guests in on any of this. So far as they know, I opted to invite more people and decided my house was no longer the right venue. Ta-da.
Sooo what's the point of this thread then?

That would require me to not take things way too personally. We both know that's not going to happen, it never has happened (in my decade of message boarding all over the net), and I've accepted this.

You might not be ready for the Internet, if that's the case.

Your "character" is already firmly impunged from the last time there was a "Norris advice" thread. You asked for the advice, it was given and (more or less) taken. Walk away.

That's what I'm doing:

I just went to read the dating advice thread since I missed it the first time around, and laughed when I saw Charlie answered it in the first reply and it lasted 11 more pages. Then I stopped.

This thread can end without outside intervention if a solution has been reached.

I'd actually be interested to hear Norris' post-mortem on Monday morning, on how the party actually went, if he feels so inclined. :)

Defending myself.

Added at: 19:51
I just went to read the dating advice thread since I missed it the first time around, and laughed when I saw Charlie answered it in the first reply and it lasted 11 more pages. Then I stopped.
This thread can end without outside intervention if a solution has been reached.
I'd actually be interested to hear Norris' post-mortem on Monday morning, on how the party actually went, if he feels so inclined. :)
You should totally lock the thread on the Picard facepalm.

I was told that I should not date anyone until I seek therapy I can't for problems I don't agree I have. I don't think I need much more than Chris Hardwick's "The Nerdist Way" self-help book (because he sounds like someone who went through a number of the same problems I have without seeking therapy for anything other than alcoholism) to work on geting better, I eagerly await getting it for Christmas. :D

I will also point out that Charlie was wrong - Mads was emphatically not interested in me and was just giving friendly advice.

If?

Sure, but it will likely be boring. Prediction: we all met up around five, had dinner, shot the shit for three hours, tipped big, went home. Oh, and I gave Mrs. M a box with the presents in it on our way to our respective cars. Fun times."

Sure, but it will likely be boring. Prediction: we all met up around five, had dinner, shot the shit for three hours, tipped big, went home. Oh, and I gave Mrs. M a box with the presents in it on our way to our respective cars. Fun times."
Totally worth all the wringing of hands.
If you learn to loosen up, you'll have a better time of life in general. But that would mean changing yourself, and that goes to the no-no zone.
Added at: 19:58
"They will spend time with me, they must! I do so much for them! I helped perform their wedding! Their debt to me must be paid! What's this? Share them? No! They're mine! You can't have them, I won't have it! Fine fine you can come but you will get NO SWEETIES! The sweeties are for ME and for MY FRIENDS! You sit there are watch, I'd rather you didn't participate but I most tolerate your presense in my father's house..... for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.