All Things Convention & Cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon*Con is my only yearly at the moment as I'm basically a 15 minute train ride away from the hotels it's held at. Been going 3 years now and it's so much more fun than San Diego CC (used to go to that when I lived in SoCal). DC is much more a fan's con as opposed to a platform for new releases and such. Sure, it sucks to have to look up all the cool trailers and panels from SDCC online, but DC usually manages to get some awesome guests from shows I've loved for years, plus the awesome fan-driven stuff like Buffy Horror Picture Show and the Dr. Horrible show in the same vein.

I am going to be going to the ECCC.

Sadly I am only going to be going for Saturday cause I can't afford a hotel and I don;t want to drive from Lakewood to Seattle 3 days in a row. But I am still super stoked and can't wait for it to get here. I am not going to be dressing up this year becuase I didn't get a chance to work on a costume like I was original planning on. (darn work taking up my free time :) ) I am already trying to think of one for next year so hopefully next year I can dress up. I know it's not a convention but I am also stoked for the Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddess Concert that is going to be on March 26th.

Since people love cosplayer Kit Quinn, here's a quick and super exciting story!

She and her boyfriend were asked to attend ECCC last weekend as their new mascots! I was there, and did not see her at all on Friday. D: Actually, I missed a few seeing quite a few people, but more on that later! So Friday night there was a Kirby Krackle show at the Hard Rock, and I ended up finding Kit after the last song! I had WAY too much to drink, so this picture happened:

I told her I was looking for her all day, apologized for being drunk at this point, to which she replied, "It's okay! I've been drinking too so it's totally cool!" I asked for a photo, and also asked if I could kiss her on the cheek, and she was super cool about it. :) Also, she's even lovelier in person!

Anyway, ECCC was a lot of fun! I had a friend come over from Montana and this was her first con! Friday was just the two of us and then Mike joined us for the rest of the weekend. I missed ALL of Saturday, though... I was incredibly stupid and had 4 double Jack & Coke's at the Hard Rock. I'm a whiskey girl and can handle 4 pretty well, but when I went to order, the gal asked if I wanted to make it a double for $2 more. I figured since I'd be having more than one, I might as well! Aaaand I continued to order the same thing again and again. Massive hangover Saturday, stayed in bed all day while Mike and Ashley explored the con, and proceeded having fun again on Sunday. I'm still not over how stupid that was. Oh well, at least I had fun at the show! :D
I spent waaaay too much money and now have SakuraCon coming up this weekend!
No new costumes since I was procrastinating a lot and I'm also only wearing Him and Amber on Fri and Sat, and going casual on Sunday. /boring I do have awesome SOLID plans for SDCC though! So I'll have new costumes soon!

AAAA! Kit!!! <3 *ENVY*

Also: Yay! heatherling is back!
I saw her at SDCC 2 years ago too when she was wearing Leia, but didn't really chat with her. Guh she's so pretty! I fangirled. :3

Hooray, I'm back!! I disappear here and there. /shrugs

I'll take oodles of pictures at SakuraCon this weekend since I'm lacking new costumes! And then I'll post 'em on the cosplay thread! ...if I don't disappear again. :D

figmentPez

Staff member
I saw her at SDCC 2 years ago too when she was wearing Leia, but didn't really chat with her. Guh she's so pretty! I fangirled. :3
If I ever get to meet her or Silver in person I hope I have my copy of Eureka season 2 for them to sign (they're in the extras asking questions of the cast while wearing cosplay).

Aw, thanks! :3
I finished uploading my SakuraCon photos here.
I haven't tagged or titled many photos yet, so if you're able to help with identifying cosplayers, series, and/or characters, please do! Thanks in advance!!

Jerry Polence was my roommate at SakuraCon, and she was the best roommate EVER!
SakuraCon by lady_mei, on Flickr

These are all the snacks we brought to the room:

SNACKuraCon by lady_mei, on Flickr

We had a sushi dinner Thursday night with Eurobeat Kasumi:

Sushi by lady_mei, on Flickr

EBK and I spent some time at Gameworks on Thursday as well where I got hooked on Dance Maniax. (I learned on Thursday and proceeded to kick his ass on Saturday. :p)
Jerry made miso soup for breakfast on Friday! And she made giant cookies Saturday morning! Best roomie ever. <3

I forgot my yellow contacts for Him, but still had an amazing Friday! A lot of pictures were taken with people saying, "YOU HAUNTED MY DREAMS WHEN I WAS A KID! WHY AM I TAKING YOUR PICTURE???"

SakuraCon by lady_mei, on Flickr (Fist bump!)

Saturday I had my shoot with Babydoll. There was a Sweet Pea cosplayer on Friday and then 2 Ambers and 2 Babydolls were all that were seen on Saturday. D: Hopefully EBK gets our girl fight photos up soon! Giggity.

Met up with a bunch of friends that I hadn't seen in some time, made some new friends, and just had an amazing weekend. And no drinking at SakuraCon since I'm still afraid after what happened during ECCC! /rofl

Oh! Also, every year I allow myself to buy one new plush. This year was supposed to be chocobo (I have cactuar, tonberry and moogle), but I don't like how they're smaller and themed (I just want a plain chocobo!!). SOOOO I got myself a Kirby this year! And I made a Kir-choco-by!!

This Friday marks the first annual GnomeCon in Savannah - the area's first gamer convention. Primarily aimed at board game and table-top gamers, there will also be sections for Magic the Gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh players, too.

Guess who's sort of the de-facto Chief of Security?

But seriously, who's the de facto head of security?
They asked me to come, said they'd comp my badge ($25) value. I managed to negotiate for food, a T-shirt and some extra goodies. Also, I get to have flunkies minions staff in the form of a civilian group who helps with checking badges and whatnot.

The primary concern is going to come from the hotel bar in the late-night hours, but I'm honestly not expecting much in the way of trouble - these folks all seem to be pretty cool, and I doubt any guests of the hotel are going to cause issues.

This is a first-time thing for pretty much everyone involved - a trial run that was funded by a private investor to see if it was even a viable concept. Given that they've already recouped the investment amount, and are entirely in the black at this point, I'd say we have a market here. *grins*

And a little more SakuraCon since I got my photos from EBK. :)

NOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE LOLLIPOP!!

I REALLY wanted girl fight pictures. :D

New shinigami!

And random: I was packing on Saturday night and put Him's claws away. Next thing I know, Mike's making Zoidberg noises behind me, and this is what I saw.

Nice Foxhound messenger bag. I was looking at those, but I can't justify spending the money. My Bag of Holding messenger bag is still holding up nicely.

Mike's all about his man bags. He switches them out more often than I switch purses, plus he's really into adding a ridiculous amount of patches and pins to plain bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.