Aftermath (long)

So yeah Saturday was a lot of fun. Slept a bit late. Aussie didn't have to go to work in the morning. The kids were ever still asleep when we woke up. So he went downstairs to make coffee. And then came back up a few minutes later, holding both of our phones, looking like a close family member just died. He thrust my phone at me just as I sat up. My first thought was that it was one of my parents. Shit.

"There's an alert on the phones."
Oh? A flood warning. Is there going to be rain?
"It says it's a ballistic missile warning. Not a drill."

But there were no sirens. That was odd. So I got out of bed and followed him downstairs. He was talking about how he didn't find anything about it online, but something something something. I was already checking CNN, the Hawaii sub-Reddit, and Twitter. Nothing in national media. The sub-Reddit was spiralling into chaos. Twitter! Jackpot!

The state's Emergency Management Agency says this is a false alarm.

I knew it! No sirens. No missile. Lily's awake now and sits with me on the couch with a sleepy yawn. I copy the link to the tweet and post to FB since my Ohana here are all freaking out. Then the base's alert system goes off. The siren. The recording saying this is not a drill, shelter in place. WTF. The military says it's not a mistake! My stomach knots up. My heart begins to race. I fight the urge to run into our laundry room to hide (thank you fight-or-flight response). Noah jumps out of bed and flies down the stairs while yelling "What's that? What's going on?"

Aussie's now found more info online and before I can open my mouth to say that I have no idea what's happening now, he tells both kids, "It's ok. Someone must have pushed the wrong button." He turns on the TV. Various legislators are on social media saying this was a false alert. The TV stations say there's no inbound missile. I call my mom to tell her that we're ok before she sees anything in the news about this incident.

Twenty minutes later I'm on the verge of tears because it's over, we're alive, and my local friends are all ok, too. I go back on FB and Twitter to cross post more information. Mainland friends send relieved responses. One friend called. Another took the time to chat with me later in the day about it all despite having a full plate of her own.

Neither of my best friend. She didn't even respond when I said I was freaking out. She posted the following picture on Saturday evening:
DIvUdYm.jpg

Oh Lilo & Stitch. That's Hawaii. Awww. I'm the friend who doesn't live near her, right? NOPE. She tagged someone else. She hasn't called, emailed, sent a text, or IM'd me on social media just to ask how the family is doing or to make sure I'm ok. I've been sitting here thinking about how our proximity to the joint base probably means we'll be dead if there is a missile strike. Or that if we aren't instantly killed then we'll be the real life version of Sarah Connor's dream from T2 complete with being on fire and screaming in pain and how I'd rather die than have to watch my kids go through that incredible suffering. And this "best friend" can't even send me a "Oh hey I was thinking of you. Hope you're ok."

I'M NOT FUCKING OK!
AND YOU'RE A FUCKING SELF-ABSORBED C---!

On top of facing mortality of my family and myself, and being terrified that I might have to watch my kids go through a living hell if we weren't instantly incinerated, I've got to deal with the loss of a friend I've had for over 20 years, too. And, yes, it is a loss because who the fuck does that? It all hurts. I feel like I have no one that I'm close to other than Aussie. I love him and we're friends, but it isn't the same thing. We were "un-biological sisters". We planned a wedding to one another so we didn't have to be alone when we got old and we'd have health insurance benefits. I have friends here in HI, on the mainland, and the ones who live in my laptop like you all. I love you all, but like with Aussie, it isn't the same kind of thing. Admittedly, our friendship hasn't been as tight for the past few years (we had a big falling out over a social issue), but I never thought it would come down to something this uncaring or callous. I'm devastated and I don't know what to do.

(FYI I'm seeing my therapist on the 24th.)

I'm sorry. I hadn't realized just how big an impact this had on you - and doubtless others. I really appreciate you sharing!

Dave

Staff member
A few months ago a guy I thought was my best friend was back in town. He gave me a call and I found out he'd been back for a WEEK before calling me because he knew I didn't get along with the guy he'd been staying with and hanging out with. So...I found out where I stood in his hierarchy. It was not the best feeling in the world.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It sucks. But I know exactly where you are. I have no friends outside my family and you guys I can really talk to.

Dave

Staff member
Ditto Dave. Big fat ditto.
Please note that I'm not saying this as a bad thing. I'm fairly content with my life (if not my current living situation). It's just what it is. I mean, really it's the best of both worlds. I get to play games with my friends, I get to joke around with my friends, and I get to communicate with my friends...all while being in the comfort of my own home. Age differences are meaningless. Economic status is meaningless. Sexual/gender differences are meaningless. Political differences are meaningless.

People may laugh that my friends are mostly online, but you are more real than some of the people I grew up with. And I'm okay with that.

Part of me is surprised you got in to see a counselor so fast. I'm betting a lot of people got triggered (pardon the pun) by this whole thing.

Major hugs your way, hon.

Part of me is surprised you got in to see a counselor so fast. I'm betting a lot of people got triggered (pardon the pun) by this whole thing.

Major hugs your way, hon.
I am, too. She had openings when I had time free so I jumped on it. Also, trigger is a real psych term (I'm sure you know) so it doesn't feel like a pun when used in the right context. The public schools have sent home a letter telling people if they need to get help that DOE can provide resources. I have my own therapist, but I also have a list of agencies from my internship that I could have contacted if I was unable to see her. Social worker heal thyself! ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1516223598,1516223315][/DOUBLEPOST]
People may laugh that my friends are mostly online, but you are more real than some of the people I grew up with. And I'm okay with that.
I think because of Aussie having been active duty, and so many of my friends being connected with the military, having online friendships isn't seen as strange. We all keep in touch through FB or IG. Some people I still talk to belonged to three different military spouse/SO support boards I joined before getting married. The friend I wrote about in my post is someone I originally met in an online RPG over AOL. We happened to live relatively close to one another, met up, and we had friends of friends in our group IRL. So I totally agree. You guys are as real to me as anyone I've met face-to-face.

Dave

Staff member
Pretty good for a single guy - JCM - who does nothing but sit in his basement lording over hundreds of alt accounts.

Please note that I'm not saying this as a bad thing. I'm fairly content with my life (if not my current living situation). It's just what it is. I mean, really it's the best of both worlds. I get to play games with my friends, I get to joke around with my friends, and I get to communicate with my friends...all while being in the comfort of my own home. Age differences are meaningless. Economic status is meaningless. Sexual/gender differences are meaningless. Political differences are meaningless.

I'm pretty sure I've spent more time playing video games with Gas and Terrik in the last few years than I've spent in the physical presence of other people, excepting the people who I'm forced to be around because they share a house with me :)p). And even when I hang out with other people, it's things like going to archery leagues or having D&D once a month if the stars align and no one cancels at the last minute.

Honestly, my anxiety as a result of the situation is getting worse as the days go by. More time to think all the thoughts.
It's so easy for anyone outside the situation to shrug at the mistake. A lot of people don't realize that when you're in it and think it's real, it's real. Major props for jumping on seeing a therapist right away.