[Question] Adobe Illustrator file

My new program logo is saved as an .ai but I don't have the software to open it. I tried saving it as a .pdf, which worked for viewing the graphic, but then I noticed that the three versions of the logo are each saved on colored squares. I want to be able to use the logo on t-shirts and other promotional products, plus as headings on letters, so a big black square with the logo in the center is not exactly attractive.

I read that you can edit .ai files in GIMP. I can't download that to my work computer (I'm actually surprised the forum isn't blocked by DIT), but I'd like to know if GIMP does work with .ai before I mess with it on my laptop.

Mahalos!

I think you have to use inkscape with gimp to get this to work on a Mac. I think I've tried, but the results weren't stellar. You might be able to convert it with Preview. I can give it a shot if you want to upload it here.

Thanks everyone! I'll upload the file here. I got busy doing a hundred other things and now I'm home, making dinner, doing the mom thing. So when I get a chance.

@drifter Thank you for your help. They look great! Is there a way to keep the black lettering and outline on the red one? Kind of like how the teal and darker blue one (#3) is.