Add me to the list, I guess (divorce thread)

This is the first time I'm posting anywhere on any kind of 'social media' about it, but we actually came to the conclusion last month.

So, when we moved the Virginia in 2010, the plan was basically: Take a high-paying job up north, buy a house, wait 5-8 years, sell the house for a profit, move back south with my pay set at a higher price point, and buy a house with the profits of the VA house sale.

Way back when, it was common for jobs to ask you what your previous salary was during the interview, so it was difficult to get much of a bump. Say you were making 70K. Even if they had the budget for 90, they wouldn't offer more than 75. So part of the move up north was to completely change my pay bracket. Which worked wonderfully. I got a job making nearly double, in gross dollars, what I was making in Texas. Now higher cost of living and additional VA taxes took a huge bite out of that, but the gross value was set to make negotiations easier when I came back south. She also moved up in her career and is making maybe double what she used to.

Took us a couple of years to get the house, because we were coming in at the tail end of the last housing bubble. But we were able to have one built in the boonies for a reasonable amount. Then we sold last year during the covid house shortage and made 6 figures profit, right at the 8 year mark. Moved into an apartment, and I very quickly found a job in Texas paying exactly what I was already making in VA.

So, I moved into an apartment in Texas. Carrying my share of both bills, but without paying state income tax, the amount I was saving every paycheck very nearly covers the Texas expenses. The plan was: Live apart until the VA lease was up, then she'd put in for a transfer and move down. That's pretty much what we did for the last big move.

But the kicker: After I moved, she told me she didn't want to move back to Texas. She says the girlfriend really doesn't have anything to do with it, but I'm pretty sure it does. But that's just a guess. Instead, she wanted me to try to find another job in VA so I could move back. But after living alone for a couple of months, I realized, I neither wanted to move back, nor was I super keen on having her move back down here. Without getting into all of the nitty gritty of it all, we've pretty much grown apart, and I've become a bit of a third wheel to her and the girlfriend's activities. So we had a mature talk about it, and agreed to divorce.

I'm not super broken up about it right now (though we were both very emotional during that discussion), and she doesn't seem to be either. There aren't any winners, losers, good guys or bad guys here, so I'm sorry to report that there won't be any food for drama or schadenfreude. Because of the laws of both states, filing can't happen until February in either case (VA has a waiting period, TX has a residency minimum). We've already split the house money and most of the physical items. I expect that things will be final in April without much fanfare.

I don't really feel any kind of way about it right now...just kinda meh.

Last edited:
Damn...wait, Nick? Oh no you don't, we about to throw down.

Also, sorry Tin. I know it's something all parties agreed to but it still sucks. And if I had a dollar for every thruple I knew that ended up this way... well, I'd have at least around $4.75.
Appreciate the condolences...it's something I saw coming a while ago, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

Wait, are we throwing hands for Tin?? Have at thee, bitches!! :D

...but seriously, I'm sorry to hear it, Tin, but I'm glad to hear it was at least as amicable as it could be. When I met you guys in VA a few years back, you were both very kind and fun.

Wait, are we throwing hands for Tin?? Have at thee, bitches!! :D

...but seriously, I'm sorry to hear it, Tin, but I'm glad to hear it was at least as amicable as it could be. When I met you guys in VA a few years back, you were both very kind and fun.
Too late. I'm about to unleash the ultimate weapon! The weapon that cannot be stopped or countered under any circumstances. BEYOND MY MIGHTY POWER.

*ahem*

Dibs.
Damn...wait, Nick? Oh no you don't, we about to throw down.

Also, sorry Tin. I know it's something all parties agreed to but it still sucks. And if I had a dollar for every thruple I knew that ended up this way... well, I'd have at least around $4.75.
Uhm...you guys all know I was in an open relationship long before now....if y'all wanted some, all you had to do was slide into my DMs :hump:

Uhm...you guys all know I was in an open relationship long before now....if y'all wanted some, all you had to do was slide into my DMs :hump:
Yeah, but that would involve travelling all the way to Texas.* And that's a lot of money and effort.

(*Note: Plus, you know, I'm also firmly and comfortably heterosexual and just posting this for a laugh. :D )

Yeah, but that would involve travelling all the way to Texas.* And that's a lot of money and effort.

(*Note: Plus, you know, I'm also firmly and comfortably heterosexual and just posting this for a laugh. :D )
oh, I know :D

I don't figure there's too many people around these parts who are that interested in my junk. And for those who are, there's already a picture of it on the forums to scare you off :rofl:

Usually, at this point, the standard Internet joker thing would be to ask, "So your wife is single now?"

But it turns out that no she isn't, not really.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your divorce, but it sounds like you're handling it quite well, so kudos there.

Usually, at this point, the standard Internet joker thing would be to ask, "So your wife is single now?"

But it turns out that no she isn't, not really.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your divorce, but it sounds like you're handling it quite well, so kudos there.
Nope, she isn't, not really. But she is good lookin, so you'd just scare her off anyway ;)

On a serious note, it absolutely sucks, but it sounds like it was amicable. It sounds less like a broken marriage, more like you'd gradually drifted apart, and it came to a natural conclusion.

The distance would be difficult to maintain under the best conditions. It sounds like you're both doing the right thing for the other person.

Sorry to hear this. :(( I understand the heartache well, even if it is the right choice and you grew apart. I hope the coming months arefull of things that bring you joy and make you happy. Enjoy rediscovering yourself. :heart:

Last edited:
Well, living alone has certainly given me lots of time for my new hobby. I can't play the tinwhistle in this apartment, but crochet is nice and quiet. I'm still waiting for Dave to slide into my inbox and say "Dude...enough already...there've been...*complaints*." ;)

In any case, this thread is on my mind, because day after tomorrow, I go down to the county courthouse, get the petition file stamped, and get the ball rolling.

I remember the day I got my divorce papers stamped. It was a sad and good day - very confusing. We had been separated for the year and in different provinces so it wasn't even a connection thing, and we had both clearly moved on. It was simply the culmination of the end, and a good point to grieve. Good luck!

Tomorrow is supposed to be a huge winter storm. Today is my 6th month of the lease starting in my apartment (which is the Texas residency requirement), though it could also be argued that my residency started 3 days earlier, when I moved all my belongings into a nearby hotel while I waited for the apartment to be ready.

So, today it was. I had a 90 minute block at lunch time between meetings, and this is a small town/county. Only 12 minute drive to the courthouse.

So, if you're a pro se litigant (which I am) Smith County makes you go to a class/presentation to make sure you know wtf you're doing. Fine. I sat through the whole 45 minute thing, and didn't learn anything new (because I do my due diligence). Then there's a full 75 minutes for Q&A. After about the 3rd person who just wanted to talk about how shitty their ex was, rather than asking pertinent process questions, I asked the guy "can I go now and get credit for the course?"

Signed paperwork came back today. It's...not as exciting a feeling as I had hoped.

edit: Oh, and WTF. Facebook Memories decided now is a good time to show me the pics of our very first date. Fuck you, facebook.
My parents’ divorce was officially finalized on their 30th anniversary. They enjoyed the poetry of it.

My parents’ divorce was officially finalized on their 30th anniversary. They enjoyed the poetry of it.
Yeah, I found it a bit ironic that the paperwork showed up the exact date of our first real date. heh.

Edit: Saw no reason to put anything off. Ran to the courthouse on lunch and filed everything. Now I just wait for the first week of April to roll around (due to Texas waiting period). Since I filed an affidavit ("stipulation of evidence") in theory I won't even have to go to court.