About a gazillion Netflix accounts added (edited title)

Dave

Staff member
Got this email today. It's happened. Time for me and a drove of others to cancel.

Your Netflix account is for you and the people you live with — your household.​
You can easily watch Netflix on the go and when you travel — either on your personal devices or a TV at a hotel or vacation home.​
To control how your account is used, you can:​
•​
Check who’s using your Netflix. Review which devices are signed in to your account. Sign out of devices that shouldn’t have access and consider changing your password.
If you want to share Netflix with someone outside of your household, you can use these features:​
•​
Transfer a profile. Anyone on your account can transfer a profile to a new membership that they pay for.​
•​
Buy an extra member. You can share your Netflix account with someone who doesn’t live with you for $7.99/month more.​
We know you might have questions. Our Help Center has detailed information for you.​
Thank you for choosing Netflix. We appreciate your membership and we look forward to bringing you more great TV shows and movies.​
The Netflix team​

GasBandit

Staff member
Odd, I still pay for Netflix, but didn't get the e-mail. I don't ever watch it though, because, as I have said before, my dad watches it.

I was actually happy that Netflix made those announcements. I was able to shed a few Netflix freeloaders off of my account without seeming like the asshole ;)

Seems like Netflix was right in their assessment that a lot of people who otherwise would have paid were using friends/family accounts instead. Not honestly all that surprising, either - paying for Netflix is a lot easier than pirating, and there are a lot of people who just want the easiest solution for their entertainment.

Well that's counterintuitive.
Not really. My ex-wife finally signed up for her own netflix after I kicked her off of mine, for instance. There seem to be more people who are willing to foot their own bill than who are outraged that they no longer can share passwords.