A Loki Place for Spoilers

Not bad for a Kang the Conquerer reveal: technically not revealing him at all.
I’m actually impressed with this season finale and very excited for the rest of phase 4.

So I binged Loki this afternoon to catch up without having read much about anything. I've literally never heard of the TVA so looking up that stuff afterwards was fun.

Fun series. Some thoughts I had today,

- I dig buddy cop duo. They have wonderful chemistry.

- I guess we're already done with that.

- I wonder if she's the MCU Enchantress with her blonde hair and vaguely green outfit. "Enchant, enchant, I can enchant, I enchant, enchant, enchant, enchant, why can't I enchant, enchant." I guess so.

- Old Loki is very silly and amazing. They're ending this episode with a pretty incredibl(y)e silly pyrotechnics display.

I figured it would be Kang, since I'd read he's a villain elsewhere, but that's also neato that it's not Kang and opens up the MCU for whatever the fuck bullshit they want now. Here come da mutants.

Good episode, though a lot of it felt like that part of Matrix Reloaded with the Architect droning on and on. At least this guy was more interesting.

Thing is, I don't think that was Kang. I think it was Immortus. Long story short, Immortus is a "variant" of Kang. Kind of. Kang's comic history is...complicated. Immortus is basically the oldest version of Kang. They never name him, but he talked about how he's very old. And Immortus had a citadel at the end of time, too. Anyway, it doesn't really matter since they're NOW clearly setting up Kang. And now that we've been introduced to the idea of variants, I wouldn't be surprised if we see multiple versions of him. I can't help wondering if we'll see Rama-Tut (who was originally just an Egyptian themed villain from the future but retconned to be one of the youngest versions of Kang).

Also loved that hook at the end with Mobius having no sweet clue who Loki is. So time has already gone wibbly wobbly. As with the rest of Loki, this kind of feels like Marvel's own Doctor Who and I'm all for it.

In those few moments in the TVA at the end of the episode, the camera focused on a statue which I guess used to be of a Time Keeper but now it was... of not-Kang wearing Kang's costume.

So I was wrong, it was Kang. I do like the fact that they made it a Variant of Kang though, one that was not evil (per say) but was actually attempting to prevent the worst versions of himself from existing.

A few disappointments I do wish to list.

Once again Marvel tricks us with fake trailer scenes. The scene of Loki in a throne room never appears in the episode even though it's been in multiple trailers, including the midseason trailer. It was likely put in to make us think the person at the end of time was a Loki and not Kang.

Really was hoping for a scene with multiple Mobius', the pen ended up referencing Renslayers original existence as a school teacher.

The ending, while fun, definitely leaves on a sour note overall for me. It's less a conclusion and more a cliffhanger for the next big arc of the MCU. We also don't know what will happen to Loki, since he is in a TVA that does not remember him, and I don't like it when a series ends on such an open cliffhanger. Still loved the series as a whole though, even with the disappointments. It always kept me engaged at least.

Speaking of that ending scene, I don't think the TVA itself reset. Remember how they showed Mobius and Hunter B15 in the control room lamenting how there was no turning back, and B15 implied they didn't want to turn back? That happened AFTER Loki was thrust through the time portal and Kang was killed, so that event had to still happen, while the ones in the archive seemed more like original Mobius and B15. My best theory is that, remember how the TVA said once the red line passed a specific point it couldn't be reset? I think the reason was because once things go past that line, that branch would in turn create IT'S OWN TVA. Since the branches were occurring before Kang even died, one likely passed the red line point before Sylvie sent Loki away, and since she used Kang's bracelet, which is obviously way more powerful then the average time pad, she actually sent him to another timelines version of the TVA, one that is now ruled by one of the conqueror Kangs. If they do a second season, I expect the first episode will be Loki being interrogated by this TVA before the "originals" come to save him. One other little observation, but in this TVA, Mobius didn't even recognize Loki at all, which means in the "timeline" they watch over, Loki likely does not even exist.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
I loved the ending. I found it very “Empire Strikes Back”.

I really liked this show. Like a lot.

So I was wrong, it was Kang. I do like the fact that they made it a Variant of Kang though, one that was not evil (per say) but was actually attempting to prevent the worst versions of himself from existing.
As Nick said, that wasn't Kang, that was clearly Immortus. It's all about that cape.

Wonder if well get his Iron Lad for Young Avengers. I hope so.

since she used Kang's bracelet, which is obviously way more powerful then the average time pad, she actually sent him to another timelines version of the TVA, one that is now ruled by one of the conqueror Kangs.
I wouldn't be so sure that wasn't intentionally set to send him to a variant TVA.

of not-Kang wearing Kang's costume.
No, that's Kang, the guy at the end of the timelines was Immortus.

As Nick said, that wasn't Kang, that was clearly Immortus. It's all about that cape.

Wonder if well get his Iron Lad for Young Avengers. I hope so.
I wouldn't be so sure that wasn't intentionally set to send him to a variant TVA.
No, that's Kang, the guy at the end of the timelines was Immortus.
I think "clearly" is too strong a word. There's enough hints and nods that it was Immortus, but there's no way to know unless they come right out and say it. They might just simplify things and just refer to him as a Kang variant.

I hadn't even considered Iron Lad before and that's a great idea. With Wanda's kids (who will undoubtedly return at some point), Cassie Lang (Ant-Man's daughter), Eli Bradley (the grandson of the black Captain America seen in Falcon & Winter Soldier), and Kate Bishop, you have your original Young Avengers roster right there. Maybe toss in Ms Marvel, even though she wasn't part of the team in the comics but would fit right in. Heck, Young Loki could still be out there, too, who joined the team later on. Ditto for American Chavez, who is rumored to be in Dr. Strange 2.

Given all that, I wouldn't be surprised if they do some form of Young Avengers at some point. Actually, they might use the team name Champions, similar to how they used the Defenders name even though it didn't match the original team. And it wouldn't be entirely straying from the comics since there was (or still is?) a teen team called Champions that featured Ms Marvel and others.

I overall liked the finale. I liked Immortus/Kang and think it is an overall better setup for Kang than the original comics version introduction of "Hi, I'm Kang, I am from the future and I come to conquer."

My wife on the other hand was disappointed. She has no idea who or what a Kang is and to her it was a lot of build-up to a nothing reveal. Her opinion might change once more about the character comes out down the line, but for now she thought is was as bad the unnecessary fight scenes at the end of most Marvel outings.

I liked the show and look forward to a second season.

I overall liked the finale. I liked Immortus/Kang and think it is an overall better setup for Kang than the original comics version introduction of "Hi, I'm Kang, I am from the future and I come to conquer."

My wife on the other hand was disappointed. She has no idea who or what a Kang is and to her it was a lot of build-up to a nothing reveal. Her opinion might change once more about the character comes out down the line, but for now she thought is was as bad the unnecessary fight scenes at the end of most Marvel outings.

I liked the show and look forward to a second season.
I can understand your wife's disappointment. It's kind of like Thanos at the end of Avengers. Only the nerds are going to know who it is unless the movie/show flat out tells you. As soon as I saw Kang/Immortus' outfit, I immediately knew who he was (or at least a version or variant of him). But to the average viewer, he was "just some guy" they haven't seen before.

I think "clearly" is too strong a word. There's enough hints and nods that it was Immortus, but there's no way to know unless they come right out and say it. They might just simplify things and just refer to him as a Kang variant.
He Who Remains had the purple cape and green outfit with the yellow sign on the chest:

Kang statue had the neck to belt thing:

Even if they don't call him Immortus, that's still who he is.

I can't help wondering if we'll see Rama-Tut (who was originally just an Egyptian themed villain from the future but retconned to be one of the youngest versions of Kang).
That's not true, it wasn't a retcon, Kang's 1st appearance has him telling the Avengers his origin as Rama-Tut.

Kang wouldn't have worked for non-comic-fans if there wasn't a 2nd season (unless the Loki's chose to replace him, or actually betrayed eachother, i guess).

Last edited:
To me, the finale felt kinda like the Wizard of Oz. DorLoki and the Scarecrowki pull back the curtain and The Wizard is... just a dude. I mean, if your a Marvel fan, he's much more, but for the average viewer, just a dude. Of course, in this case, he offers them a brain and a way home, and DorLoki stabs him instead. Now Oz is in chaos, and Scarecrowki's screwed. Should be interesting.

To me, the finale felt kinda like the Wizard of Oz. DorLoki and the Scarecrowki pull back the curtain and The Wizard is... just a dude. I mean, if your a Marvel fan, he's much more, but for the average viewer, just a dude. Of course, in this case, he offers them a brain and a way home, and DorLoki stabs him instead. Now Oz is in chaos, and Scarecrowki's screwed. Should be interesting.
I think this really sums up how I felt. I don't know much about the Marvel Universe, so the ending was a lot of build-up to... a guy. I had a feeling the True Fans were picking up all sorts of clues I couldn't see about whatever was going on. So I guess as a casual Marvel fan, the Wizard of Oz ending worked...okay. They got across that a can of worms had been opened, so that was enough to lead in to Season 2 where they will hopefully explain everything.

Heh, I just learned Chris Hemsworth voiced Throg (the "blink and you miss it" appearance of Frog Thor in Loki last week). All he did was a little yell. That's exactly the kind of silly thing Hemsworth would to do, too.

"So, we'd like you to come on the Loki show."
"I'm kinda busy with Love & Thunder."
"You're voicing Frog Thor."
"What time do you want me in the booth?"

My wife knows nothing about Marvel stuff except what's been revealed in the various shows she's watched over the years. She doesn't know who Kang is, and I didn't bother to nerd-splain it to her. She is excited for the 2nd season.

figmentPez

Staff member
No, no, no. It's not Kang or Immortus. It's Kevin Feige's self-insert. This is all a meta-narrative about how he thinks the MCU will fall into chaos when he retires.

It will be interesting to see what type of personality that Kang has.
With Jonathan Majors playing possibly multiple variants of the Nathaniel Richards character he could technically have a different way of playing each and everyone.
He Who Remains (possibly Immortus) was played as ancient but childish (reminded me a lot of Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide). Different variations of him may end up being far more serious and terrifying.

Now it seems obvious that with Phase 4 delving into multiverse problems that Kang seems like a major player here, but I find it odd that his first official appearance (as Kang) will be in the Antman/Wasp 3 movie. The last two entries haven't been very dark or even very important when it comes to the rest of the MCU.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what type of personality that Kang has.
With Jonathan Majors playing possibly multiple variants of the Nathaniel Richards character he could technically have a different way of playing each and everyone.
He Who Remains (possibly Immortus) was played as ancient but childish (reminded me a lot of Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide). Different variations of him may end up being far more serious and terrifying.

Now it seems obvious that with Phase 4 delving into multiverse problems that Kang seems like a major player here, but I find it odd that his first official appearance (as Kang) will be in the Antman/Wasp 3 movie. The last two entries haven't been very dark or even very important when it comes to the rest of the MCU.
Kang's kingdom did appear as an Easter egg in Ant-Man and Wasp. You can spot it in the background when they go into the quantum realm.

Is it possible that Loki got automatically ejected back to the dimension that would have branched off during his escape from Avenger’s Tower?

GasBandit

Staff member
It seems to me something of an injustice that Ultron was a humdrum one-and-not-particularly-well-done, when of all things, we're going all-in on Kang for the next big bad arc, apparently.

Maybe it's just because my only substantive previous exposure to Kang was in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and I wasn't so big on him there, either.

Or maybe it's just how badly they handled Ultron always stuck in my craw.