4.0.1 Protection Paladin Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured for fun, and also because I want to pass some time at work, I would talk about my experiences so far as a protection paladin after the patch.

If you never played a paladin before, here is some information about how the old tanking worked. You had a rotation of skills you utilized one after the other, maximizing cooldowns. Our main bread and butter attack was Hammer of the Righteous, which could be used effectively for single and multi-target. We also used other skills like consecration, judgement, etc... to either snap aggro to us from certain mobs or help debuff the target.

4.0.1 changed a lot of how the class played, some for the better, and some for the worst.

The first big change is that Hammer of the Righteous is now a paladin version of Thunderclap that you spam and requires a regular target. It can now only be used well in mutli-target situations, because the overall damage is very low. This has some good sides and downsides.

The good side is that now it does not have a cap on the amount of creatures it "hits", allowing you to spam it and hit all mobs, even when you have more then 3 (or 4 with the old glyph). The bad side is not only is the damage itself feel lower, but since it no longer hits other mobs with a regular strike they no longer apply Censure (formerly Vengeance) to the extra targets. Overall, the skill has become more "spam" with little in the way of building up a sustained aggro generation. You miss a cooldown in multi-target and something is very likely to peel off you. Now in single target you have to use Crusader Strike if you want to hold aggro in high damage situations, which takes getting used to.

This wouldn't be so bad if Consecration was not nerfed. Before, the skill had a cooldown that was the same as the duration, meaning when used in a proper rotation the skill can have nearly a 100% uptime. It has been changed now to a 10 second duration with a 30 second cooldown. It now can only be used 33% of the time and thus loses a whole lot of it's luster.

Holy Shield and Shield of the Righteous (formerly Shield of Righteousness) also saw major changes. You can no longer start a fight with Holy Shield, as you must hit something with SOTR before it applies, and SOTR requires Holy Power. With only one Holy Power the ability already hits like a wet noodle, but you have to do it to get the extra block. Worst yet, Holy Shield lost 15% of it's block bonus, the extra aggro generation, and the damage component. It has become a very generic and uninteresting buff, but still required.

One of the hardest changes to my skills were the removal of Judgment of Light, meaning you can no longer apply a "heal on hit" debuff to the target. We also lost Sacred Shield, which talented was an excellent tool for mitigation when starting a fight when you didn't have a paladin healer. Hand of Reckoning even lost it's damage component.

On the bright side, mana regeneration is ridiculously high now thanks to Judgments of the Wise. I never leave a fight without 100% mana at the end. Also, Avenger's Shield is now one of our bread and butter skills for both pulling and attack, since we can refresh the cooldown during combat, which I think was one of the better changes to make up for so much lost aoe threat gen.

Anyways it will take some time to get the hang of the new style of play, but I admit, I am rather sad about losing so many of the skills I considered the flavor of the paladin, just so I can now have a silly version of combo points.

I've found I have to be really damned careful with my damage right now due to the damage disparity (due largely to broken mage abilities).

I might do a fire mage analysis, but not sure if it's worth another thread. :)

Dave

Staff member
Do you think that the Prot War then is now viable as the top tanking class - as it should be?

Do you think that the Prot War then is now viable as the top tanking class - as it should be?
I think Blizzard is really trying to make each class equally viable in both single target and multi-target tanking. Prot Paladin was probably too strong at multi-target tanking in Wrath (and multi-target tanking was too easy in general), so they're scaling it back quite a bit so there's a real difference between good tanks and bad tanks. It'll take a lot of getting used to for everyone (and will likely involve numerical tweaking), but patience and skill will be the beneficial factors here.

The issue here is there shouldn't be a top tanking class.

I admit that Paladin was a bit strong when it came to tanking, while the other three were a bit more equal on the lower end. We did need to be scaled down, but I feel Blizzard went a bit crazy with it, because the whole class changed. I will get used to it, but it will take me some time.

The issue here is there shouldn't be a top tanking class.

I admit that Paladin was a bit strong when it came to tanking, while the other three were a bit more equal on the lower end. We did need to be scaled down, but I feel Blizzard went a bit crazy with it, because the whole class changed. I will get used to it, but it will take me some time.[/QUOTE]

I think Blizzard is attempting to provide an extra level of uniqueness to the class after homogenizing many abilities across all tank specs to make them equally viable. They needed to do something to flavor each class a bit to prevent over-homogenization. They did something similar with healers. DPS is a bit easier to balance while still being unique, I think.

I think Blizzard is attempting to provide an extra level of uniqueness to the class after homogenizing many abilities across all tank specs to make them equally viable. They needed to do something to flavor each class a bit to prevent over-homogenization. They did something similar with healers. DPS is a bit easier to balance while still being unique, I think.
Paladins were already unique in that we were the only tank that used both mana and spells over physical attacks. Adding Holy Power just made us have a quasi-combo point system, which was something I was never fond of, even on rogues. One of my biggest issues now is actually that my skills now require me to build up Holy Power just to get the most out of my mitigation and threat generation. While that does make it closer to rage and runic power/runes like the other classes, rather then the "mana dump" of the old paladin, I am now the only class that has no way to gather my resource outside of combat in some form.

Maybe if I had a skill that allowed me to gather two ticks of holy power before I get into combat, I would not mind the system as much since I could then open with SOTR and get my Holy Shield started without having to pile up three crusaders/hotr strikes.

Paladins were already unique in that we were the only tank that used both mana and spells over physical attacks. Adding Holy Power just made us have a quasi-combo point system, which was something I was never fond of, even on rogues. One of my biggest issues now is actually that my skills now require me to build up Holy Power just to get the most out of my mitigation and threat generation. While that does make it closer to rage and runic power/runes like the other classes, rather then the "mana dump" of the old paladin, I am now the only class that has no way to gather my resource outside of combat in some form.

Maybe if I had a skill that allowed me to gather two ticks of holy power before I get into combat, I would not mind the system as much since I could then open with SOTR and get my Holy Shield started without having to pile up three crusaders/hotr strikes.[/QUOTE]

OK, I promise not to lead with a HS Pyro(!) on pull anymore. :)

They already hotfixed mage nerfs. It's still World of Castercraft right now though. :)

Also, <3 DK tanking right now.

I was on my pally tanking H UK for the first time since patch (and the first time in at least a couple months). When I left, I could sleep through this instance. When I came back....

Well, the absence of high, front-loading AoE threat definitely takes some getting used to. Without the slightest doubt, players are going to have to relearn how to do dungeons in the old way, with focus fire, aggro control, and possibly CC. I kept having to grab mobs back before the DPS opened fire before I'd collected everyone on a target that wasn't mine.

This was exacerbated by a careless mage who was averaging 8-10k DPS (and this was post hotfix), and the fucking pally healer, who, bored because I wasn't chain-pulling the entire place, starting taunting new mobs himself.

So I stopped taunting mobs off of him entirely, but by that point, we were at the end of the instance anyway.

My pally doesn't have spectacular gear anyways, but a fresh 80 in new blues would have had a horrendous experience, despite doing nothing wrong. This is going to be a long adjustment period, clearly.

And when I say not "spectacular", I mean 2600 on WH. Not ICC worthy, but could do ToC10/Ony25 without too much trouble. Thought I was well past the point of having issues in heroics.

I plan to post this later on the suggestion forum, just some opinions I have on some skill changes to bring the paladin class a bit back to how they were without scrapping all the new mechanics.

Holy Shield as it works now is boring. I propose that it be removed, and replaced with a variation of the old Sacred Shield. When you hit with Shield of the Righteous or Word of Glory, you apply the shield, which will absorb a certain amount of damage based on the amount of damage done by Shield of the Righteous or healing done by Word of Glory. This would give a nice boost of scaling mitigation and make the skill a bit more interesting then a 15% block buff. Once we start stacking Mastery, block shouldn't even be much of an issue. Just put the skill out to pasture and let us remember when it was actually worth it.

Give us a use for Divine Shield, and a more interesting effect for the future added Guardian of Ancient Kings. My suggestion is add or adjust a talent that removes the bubble immunity of Divine Shield, and instead makes the bubble reduce all incoming damage by 60%. It would basically become the Paladin Shield Wall, while Divine Protection has now become the Paladin Shield Block.

Due to the change to Divine Shield, alter Guardian of the Ancient Kings with a new effect. When activated the Guardian of Ancient Kings channels and links with all people in a certain radius, using mechanics of the old Divine Sacrifice allowing damage to be reduced to all players and instead directed to the Guardian. Remove Divine Guardian and make the talent instead apply the Guardian effect when you cast Guardian of Ancient Kings, reducing the amount of damage the Guardian itself also takes (allowing it to last longer).

Lastly, it would be nice if we had another way to spread around Censure. Right now Warriors have Blood and Thunder for Rend, and Death Knights have Pestilence for Blood Boil and Frost Fever (Druids are out of luck also, but I would be fine with a way for them to spread Lacerate), so I think allowing us to spread around Censure wouldn't hurt. Actually, I had an idea to alter Hallowed Ground. Rather then increasing damage, make it so the consecration effect has a secondary ability based on your active Seal.

Seal of Truth - Applies one stack of Censure to all creatures in the area of effect per tick.

Seal of Insight - Applies the Insight debuff, that makes it so all attacks have a chance of restoring both health and mana per strike while the ground remains consecrated. Basically a merged version of the old judgment effects.

Seal of Justice - Prevents all targets in the area of effect from fleeing in fear, and also reduces movement speed by 20%.

Seal of Righteousness - Increases damage of consecrates regular pulses by 20% (basically bringing it in line with the existing talent)

These are some ideas I plan to post later, and while I am not silly enough to think any of this will happen, I hope it at least gives Blizzard some ideas to think about for the future.

Overall I am not angry with most of the changes to other classes. I have had little time to play some of them, but from what I saw of my Druid, Warrior, Hunter, and Mage, I am very happy with how they are playing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.