[Movies] 31 Days of Halloween

UPDATED Oct 27

This year I'm going to try (and fail) to watch 31 horror movies leading up to Halloween. For the sake of even making a close call, I'm counting the four I watched last weekend, but even then I doubt I'll manage. Still, I'm going to try!

So far

It Follows
Trick 'r Treat
It (2017)
Krampus
Halloween: H20
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Mummy (1932)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Backcountry
The Fog (1980)
Christine
Basketcase
The Tingler
13 Ghosts (1960)
The Exorcist III
House
Evil Dead 2
Mr. Sardonicus
Horror of Dracula
The Invisible Man (1933)
The Shining
Jennifer's Body
The Exorcist
Q, the Winged Serpent
The Thing from Another World
The Witch
The Wolfman
Lair of the White Worm
The Bride of Frankenstein
Halloween
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Halloween: H20 was recommended by a friend as being solid, but I have a feeling she hadn't seen it since 1998.

I know I said this last year, but I'd really love to watch some of the 30s and 40s classics. They just never come on Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming for whatever reason, and they certainly won't at this time of year when it's more likely for people to just purchase them.

Last edited:
I know it's not 30's or 40's, but I've always felt that Nightmare On Elm Street is a classic.
Oh, totally. A Nightmare on Elm Street Blu Ray collection dropped to $25 on Amazon, so I took the money I was supposed to be saving for a comic project and bought that. I don't own any of the series and I know I like at least three of them, so it was too good a deal to pass up.

I have some classic horror movies, but I mention the 30s/40s Universal stuff because 1. They're pretty short, so it'd be easier to accomplish my goal :p, and 2. I haven't seen any of them in 20+ years, and I'm curious how my opinion of different ones has changed ... I just don't want to rent each one for $3 or $4 a pop. It's not much per movie, but it adds up.

Are you including the Abbot & Costello versions?

--Patrick
Of course! Well, at least Meet Frankenstein. That was the biggest monster mash, so I'm not sure how much Meet the Mummy or Meet the Invisible Man would compare.

House on Haunted Hill is available on Prime I believe.
That's how we watched it. It's another I hadn't watched in decades.

Do you have access to Turner Classic Movies or AMC? They're the most likely to have monster movie fests this month.

If you want to go a bit further afield, here's the full list of Chiller Theater movies from the iconic Pittsburgh horror show. :popcorn:
I have ... internet? What's that get me? :p

Question for anyone: is there a version of Exorcist 2 that's worth watching or is it best to just jump to 3?

is there a version of Exorcist 2 that's worth watching or is it best to just jump to 3?
It's not really going to change. It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense no matter how you slice it.
...yes, I've seen Exorcist II.

--Patrick

It's not really going to change. It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense no matter how you slice it.
...yes, I've seen Exorcist II.

--Patrick
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a phantom edit that made it ... work, I guess.

Also, we watched The Mummy (1932) tonight and that doesn't work so great either. This was back before knowing basic movie-making was more commonplace, like "don't frame every scene like a stage play" and "don't edit the movie so that a scene cuts the music of the previous scene abruptly."

fade

Staff member
Anybody have any ideas on movies that might actually scare a jaded 14 year old? He either gets bored or just doesn't get scared. Too much like his mother with her super-pragmatism. None of that stuff is real, so he simply doesn't become part of the movie world. He does get kind of creeped out by stalker/killer type movies for the same reason.

Oh hell yeah. Shudder just added six old Universal horror movies: Dracula, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein.

And shouldn't have shown my wife The Shining either ...

Apparently Jack Nicholson was too good at playing an alcoholic asshole, because a lot of his mannerisms, lines to Lloyd, etc. echoed her father's bullshit. She found the movie a lot easier to handle once Jack Torrence becomes an ax-wielding madman at the end because it was less realistic than the jackass he was being earlier.

Also watched The Invisible Man and I'm starting to think I just don't like these old Universal horror movies anymore. Still got some more to watch, but right now it's 0/2.

fade

Staff member
I enjoyed The Invisible Man. It followed the book reasonably closely, which is saying something for the Universal classic horrors. That being said, both book and film are ho-hum stories.

Which reminds me: I know it's been done to death, but I'd love to see a book-accurate Dracula. That book is fairly scary, what with the "found" nature of the journal entries interspersed with regular narrative.

I enjoyed The Invisible Man. It followed the book reasonably closely, which is saying something for the Universal classic horrors. That being said, both book and film are ho-hum stories.

Which reminds me: I know it's been done to death, but I'd love to see a book-accurate Dracula. That book is fairly scary, what with the "found" nature of the journal entries interspersed with regular narrative.
It's both funny and frustrating that Francis Ford Coppola promised a book-accurate adaptation to the point of putting Bram Stoker's name in the title, and then that happened.

fade

Staff member
HAHAHAHA yes! I found a movie that scared him. What's more, I know what works now. The Thing (1982 version).

The commentary said some people were more bothered by watching needles going into skin than any of the gore and violence elsewhere in the movie.

fade

Staff member
The commentary said some people were more bothered by watching needles going into skin than any of the gore and violence elsewhere in the movie.
That and them voluntarily slicing their own fingers with a scalpel made him hide his eyes.[DOUBLEPOST=1509199712,1509199638][/DOUBLEPOST]
So... body horror?
That's part of it, but I think it's the fact that it wasn't supernatural and had an element of "this could potentially really happen" that appealed to his pragmatic mind.

We could use more
That and them voluntarily slicing their own fingers with a scalpel made him hide his eyes.[DOUBLEPOST=1509199712,1509199638][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's part of it, but I think it's the fact that it wasn't supernatural and had an element of "this could potentially really happen" that appealed to his pragmatic mind.
You gonna show him The Blob remake then? Or did he already watch it when you just rewatched it? Because the way acidity levels are affecting simple ocean organisms, that one could happen too.