[Writing] .

Status
Not open for further replies.
yowch! I was one of the ones who downloaded it. I'll be honest, though. I probably wouldn't have purchased it. At the very least I wanted to help bump you up the charts, though.

Me too! I have been following your publishing exploits with interest. Digital self-publishing is an intriguing idea that I'm considering sometime down the line.

I already have the physical copy, but I'll download the Kindle version to boost you in the rankings.

You're doing amazing with this, Tin, and getting into the top 100 even for today should see some great results for you in the days coming afterward. I've actually put my book for free on two days, and while it got a lot of downloads that generated some sales following, it never climbed much beyond the 10,000 and quickly slipped down to where it is now. Odds are that I need to get some reviews on Amazon so people will feel it's worth getting and I don't expect to do another free day until I either have some or to help promote volume 2 when it comes out.

That said, shorts are a hard sell even for big names. I hope to have better luck when I release a novel this summer.

I appreciate that, Tin, but take it at your pace. The fact that you're doing so well with this is a real achievement considering you have kids and that really takes time away. I only get to write daily because my only responsibilities besides my wife don't live longer than two years and can be put in a cage when I don't want to deal with them (well, I don't have kids; maybe you can do this with them as well).

The trouble with short story collections is that there's nothing egging the reader to turn the next page; I have four or five short story books I've not finished reading, because I read a couple stories from one only every now and then. It can take me a year to finish reading a collection, while I'll go through 20 novels ranging between 300 and 1000 pages each in the meantime.

A Touch of Magic was at 89 when I downloaded it, and at #2 in Epic Fantasy. That's terrific.

Oh man, this is awesome! Thanks for this.

I've read most of the first chapter, and I'm hooked. I'm going to have to put it down and work now, but I'm sure I'll be unable to resist finishing it soon.

You know how when you're watching a movie you like with someone who's never seen it and you're thinking "I can't wait to see how s/he reacts to [that cool part] or [that interesting line]"? I'm thinking of certain parts of A Touch of Magic with you guys who are just downloading it.

I'm also loving it so far, I'll definitely be ordering a hard copy to gift to a friend, maybe two to keep one to myself. Do you have any plans to sell autographed copies, Tin?

By the way, I've entered the novel into Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award contest.
http://www.amazon.com/abna

The grand prize is a $15,000 contract from Penguin Publishing...I'm not certain I'll actually sign the contract should I get it...but winning the thing would be awesome publicity. If (big IF!) I make it into the semi finals, I'll be sure and let you guys know--that's the phase where Amazon customers vote for the 1st and 2nd place winners.
To even be considered beyond certain rounds, you have to sign pre-emptively.

You should definitely read this list of possible issues with the contest.

I ordered prior to this offer. I'm patiently awaiting my copy in the mail. I don't mind that I had to pay for it, I love supporting independent authors.
Added at: 17:08
Don't forget us when you're in your JK Rowling-esque castle

Actually, can I get an e-book copy for free, even though I ordered the paper copy? I wouldn't mind having both and if it helps push up your numbers, even better.

Nevermind, I already submitted it, so I'll have a physical and e-book copy.

Finished it early this morning (had to, otherwise I wouldn't get any work done today) and I really enjoyed it! Thanks!

The only thing that left me scratching my head was

...I didn't realize that the master was dead until very late in the book, while Randall appeared to already have known it. Perhaps I wasn't reading it carefully enough, but it seemed that I was missing something.

I wrote a review for Amazon, hopefully you find it helpful:

Young Randall, seeking to become an adult, works to apprentice himself and is unwittingly swept into apprenticeship with a Mage. Magic is not only outlawed, but is taboo worthy of death.

Randall soon learns that magic is not the bad thing he understood it to be. Not long after he begins to enjoy his studies and applies himself to them, a youthful indiscretion on his part forces him to leave everything behind and travel lands unknown in search of both his master and, ultimately, revenge.

As Randall pursues his destiny, he has to carefully decide who to trust - for even among Mages there are deadly taboos.

----------

I really enjoyed this book! The story and setting is strong and straightforward, and the characters draw you in to this imaginative world. The author obviously knows how to weave a compelling story.

There were no significant questions remaining at the end of the book, however I'm very interested in visiting this realm again - there seems to be a lot in this world worth exploring, and whether it's with this protagonist or another, I hope the author revisits it.

The writing is easy, but not simplistic. It doesn't talk down to you, nor is excessively complex language used. It's suitable for fantasy readers of all ages - while the story is interesting and artfully woven, it doesn't require the reader to keep track of large cast of characters, nor extensive subtle subplots. It's a relatively quick and easy read - good for an afternoon and evening enjoying a warm breeze in a hammock.
Added at: 10:36
Hey, looks like my review is already posted:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2VCPT...e=UTF8&ASIN=B006ETGELA&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Finished it early this morning (had to, otherwise I wouldn't get any work done today) and I really enjoyed it! Thanks!

The only thing that left me scratching my head was

...I didn't realize that the master was dead until very late in the book, while Randall appeared to already have known it. Perhaps I wasn't reading it carefully enough, but it seemed that I was missing something.
Randall believed him dead from early on, but we don't really get confirmation until late in the book--kinda like with his family. Since it's all from Randall's POV, we rely on hearsay and rumor, like he's done in his little hick town.
Added at: 19:19
So, throw me some stats Sir. How did the weekend deal fare?
Jay's checking out the numbers to see whether this is a viable route to take his Twilight knockoff.

"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Bedward was a Magebear. Second, there was part of him — and I didn’t know how potent that part might be — that wanted to gnaw on my skull. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."

Cool. Keep us updated.

BTW, your books (the paperback) is in my wish list and it'll be included in my next big purchase that my new american mule will ship my way in a month or so.

Let me know if you manage to get your book in a hard cover copy... perhaps where you can personally sign for me... of course.

You never know... you may be the next R.R Martin.

Will keep everyone updated. Hardback may be difficult unless I look into Lulu. Createspace doesn't do them. They're not really high on my agenda at the moment, as the paperback isn't doing like gangbusters. But if I end up getting one out, I'll let you guys know.
The paperback side is something of a novelty unless Barnes and Noble happens to put it on a shelf. I'm sure I've said this before, but in years to come, physical books will be like vinyl.

Sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.