[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

Topps released its 2022 Series 1 set today.

Sadly, all the boxes were immediately bought up by a cadre of 100 men over the age of 45 who turned around and sold them on eBay for 20x retail.

So. By pure accident/stubbornness/lack of things to do, I went to six different spring training sites around the Valley today, partially to see what was open and partially out of morbid curiosity.

The most obvious one was the first one I went to - AFF of Phoenix, aka Maryvale Baseball Park. Lots of cars in the lot, which led me to believe that the minor league camp was in full swing - and the lights were on in the stadium. However, the Pro Shop was closed.

The second one was purely by accident; I decided to swing down to the Phoenix International Raceway, mostly because I had never actually seen the facility before. It is rather imposing, especially as it is situated right against the Estrella Mountains and in the Gila/Salt River confluence valley. After seeing it, I had to wind my way back towards I-10 to head back toward Mesa - and, in doing so, found myself going through the quaint town of Goodyear.

When I saw the sign that said I was in Goodyear, I realized, hey, there's a Spring Training facility here, right? And, in the back fog of my brain, I also realized that the road I was on - Estrella Parkway - was pretty much where the ballpark was located. And I was right - the lights and fields were very obvious, and I just pulled in like I was going to Wal-Mart. Too bad that neither the Guardians nor the Reds were anywhere to be seen that day. The Pro Shop, however, was open, and I decided to get myself a new Guardians ST cap - just because.

A plan then officially hatched in my mind - see if any of the other facilities have their pro shop open. I toyed with the idea of going to the Camelback Ranch facility, but I didn't want to hunt for it as I was already speeding down I-10 towards home. But, when I got to the Loop 101, I shot up to Salt River Fields at Talking Stick to check out their facilities. I sadly found that they had closed their pro shop in favor of remodeling it to be a sports bar, but I did have an interesting moment as I was driving around the facility: one of the two teams (not sure if it was the Rockies or the D-Backs) must have been playing an intrasquad game, because a baseball was rolling around on the street as I drove by. A lady on a bike stopped and picked it up before I could turn around, stop and get it.

So that left the Mesa facilities, starting with Sloan Park and the Chicago Cubs. In something that should be a shock to no one, their team shop was wide open. But there was one thing I noticed about the Cubs shop and the Reds/G's shop: no player-named items were for sale. Usually teams have t-shirts or jerseys or photos of stars for sale - not at either one of these places. I did get my dad a Cubs "Arizona Sun Hat" to match one I got a few years ago at an Angels ST game. (Why yes, I can brag that I actually saw Shohei Ohtani play live, thank you.)

HoHoKam Stadium, I already knew was a ghost town. I honestly don't think the A's pro shop has been open at HHK since 2019. The A's minor league camp is likely behind the dark fences over at Fitch Park, which I haven't seen any movement at since the beginning of February (as I drive past it daily).

Now you may be counting, and saying to yourself, hey, that's only five facilities, and that's seven teams. What's with the number "six" he claimed back in the opening paragraph?

Well... there's a third, "secret" facility in east Mesa, that very few people know about - and it's a little difficult to get there, because it's not on a lot of maps. And Major League Baseball doesn't acknowledge it as a part of the "true" Cactus League, because it's not team sanctioned. But, if you take the 202 South from the US 60 Superstition Freeway, you get to a strange, heavily-under-construction off-ramp to AZ state route 24 - known as the future Gateway Freeway, connecting the 202 to Ironwood Road and the San Tan Valley. Just south of this, on Ellsworth Road, is the former site of the GM Proving Grounds (where General Motors sent its cars and trucks for "durability testing" in the Arizona heat). The area has been heavily redeveloped, despite Google Maps still showing the old test tracks on the satellite imagery. Legacy Sports has converted the land into a "320 acre world-class family sports and entertainment park." Though the facility just recently opened, and it still is pretty obviously under construction, there is one thing that it has open - and in use.

Six, count 'em six, brand new MLB-level baseball fields. Oh, and a big area for batting cages, indoor mounds, weight training, and a few other things that are on their way.

And guess who is using the facility for unsigned major leaguers and various players from teams that normally train in the area (Dodgers, Royals, Guardians, Reds, Rangers, etc.)? The sign was a simple folding one with the logo of THE PLAYERS, pointing to the main workout facilities.

I did not stop in at BBP because it was late in the day and I pretty much figured the later I was, the longer it was going to take me to get home (Ellsworth becomes a near parking lot because of the construction during rush hour). But yes, I can say that I visited six minor league facilities today.

The one thing I can say about all of them is that there was this overwhelming sense of, isn't there supposed to be something going on? at most of them - except for Bell Bank Park, which just looked like "hey, we're trying to build something here!"

I have my doubts that I'll get any closer to MLB than I did today.

I've now visited all but one of the Cactus League ST parks. Checked off Camelback Ranch and Peoria Sports Complex. The latter is, for the lack of a better description, located pretty much right in the middle of a huge shopping center. (Mesa city government types who are wondering what we should do with Fiesta Mall, please take note.) On the way home, I did swing by Scottsdale Stadium - @Cheesy1, that place is the size of a postage stamp, and I couldn't figure out where the pro shop was - if it was even open.

At Camelback, it did look like some of the minor leaguers were playing inter-squad games, but other than that, not much going on. Remember the observation yesterday that I had about a severe lack of player stuff? The PSC store was different: they had Machado jerseys and Seager jerseys. There were baseball cards at Camelback and Peoria, but they were older cards, not current Topps cards.

The only complex I have not visited is the Surprise Stadium, and I'm not really up to going there (though had I been thinking, I probably could have before heading home).

Still no baseball, though. :(

The good news: there will be a full season, and yes, there will be a full time DH.

The not so good news: the issues over qualifying offers and the International Draft have been kicked down the road to where one will happen while the other won't. And, if MLB doesn't get what it wants, they can reopen things in two years and we get to do this again in 2024.

The bummer news: my spring break for MPS ends on Monday, and the earliest that ST games are slated to start are next Thursday.

Odd thing of the day: on the day before Memorial Day, 1979, the Cincinnati Reds lost to the Dodgers in LA, 8-7. The Reds' starting pitcher, Bill Bonham, didn't factor into the win, but he and the guy who saved the game for the Dodgers - Bob Welch - have a rather strange pair of odd circumstances about them.

Bonham was one of a quartet of pitchers who were the last ones, back in 1974, to lose 22 games in a single season in MLB. Welch, after fighting alcoholism, came back and won 27 games in 1990 - the last pitcher to win that many in a single season.

The real weird part: Bonham had one of the unluckiest performance in the Expansion era in 1974, as his fielding-independent won-loss total was 18.5-8.5. (Fielding Independent Wins is a measure of what a pitcher would do if he had a "league average" defense behind him instead of the one he actually was saddled with.) Welch had the "luckiest" season of any major league pitcher, as his FIW-L was 12.7-13.7.

The Dodgers pulled Kershaw after 7 innings, 13Ks, and 80 pitches while he was having a perfect game. His replacement immediately gave up a hit in the 8th.

Why even baseball anymore?

I think pretty much everyone would agree that it's more important for him to win instead of getting a perfect game or no-hitter, especially at the beginning of the year. And there's the whole issue of injury, especially in Kershaw's case.

Wouldn't you agree, Johan Santana?

I think pretty much everyone would agree that it's more important for him to win instead of getting a perfect game or no-hitter, especially at the beginning of the year. And there's the whole issue of injury, especially in Kershaw's case.

Wouldn't you agree, Johan Santana?
if you think everyone would agree then you definitely don’t have a Twitter account

Most of you who live east of the Rockies don't know/don't care about this (and, from the attendance records, neither do a lot of A's fans), but the Oakland Athletics are pitting their home city against Las Vegas in bids for new stadiums. (Yes, I know, this isn't the NFL thread.)

This has some effect on me because of the Athletics' ST sites here in Mesa - though I doubt that will change, regardless of whether they play at Howard Terminal or the Tropicana.

For the last 15 years the Oakland A’s have been asking for a new stadium. Their current one is a shithole… literally. The pipes regularly back up and cause the locker rooms and dugouts to flood with shit. Even though the Raider have been gone for a while, the Oakland Coliseum is still built with a dual-sport design, meaning the field is not optimized for baseball. The area around the Coliseum is exactly the kind of neighborhood you imagine in your head when you hear the name “Oakland.” It looks and feels old and rundown.

There’s two massive obstacles to getting a new stadium, though: the owners of the A’s are stingy pieces of shit, and the city is flat broke. This means the owners want Oakland to pay for most of the costs, but you can’t get blood from a turnip.

Every few years some developer or investment group actually proposes a beautiful plan or finds a nice spot to put a new stadium. The owners ask Oakland to pay. Oakland stumbles about for a bit, realizes they can’t pay for shit, and the plan just dies. This city has lost both the Raiders and the Warriors in the last 3 years, and the A’s are not far behind. Until Oakland gets its shit together (which won’t happen ever) it cannot support a professional sports team of any sort. Also, these owners are too greedy and selfish to do anything to make the situation better.

The A’s are going to Vegas in the next 4 years; you can bet on it.

The stadium becoming a $#!+hole is basically because neither of their tenants wanted to be there. General mentality is the same as a deadbeat landlord/renter: I don't want you here/I don't want to be here, I'm not doing anything for you until you are/I am out.

I'd say it sucks for the fans in Oakland, but truth is there aren't a whole lot of those.

I'd say it sucks for the fans in Oakland, but truth is there aren't a whole lot of those.
That’s not true. Not at all. They have a large and passionate fan base. They just don’t actually go to the games, either because the experience is so shitty or because they don’t have a lot of disposable income. But the Oakland A’s have a huge fanbase.

The argument I've heard is the refrain they use here in Phoenix with the Yotes: would the A's be better served if, when they move to Vegas, to instead of putting the stadium on the Strip, putting it out in Summerlin or one of the other suburbs? IMNSHO, I think that their fan base would be closer to Summerlin, where Las Vegas Ballpark currently sits* than the "fan base" that the Strip would provide.

Also, I just realized that there's a tiny problem with the Tropicana site that's been discussed, and it's not about the traffic issues on the Strip. Can you say "Shea Stadium Mark II"? It's right next door to McCarran Field.

* - Las Vegas Ballpark, BTW, is where the A's Triple-A farm club, the Aviators, currently plays. It's also where the A's could theoretically play while their new ballpark is being built wherever else in the Vegas metro area.

Can you say "Shea Stadium Mark II"? It's right next door to McCarran Field.
I'm kinda confused by this one. Shea/Citi has ample parking, two major highways next to it, it's own subway stop and it spills over into Flushing Meadows. Yeah, there can be traffic, but it is far worse to try to park and/or get in/out of Yankee Stadium, which has one highway, less parking and is pressed right up against the residential Bronx.

It went right over your head - just like JetBlue’s flight to Seattle-Tacoma non-stop.

Seriously - am I the only one who remembers the jet noise from LGA affecting Mets games?

No?
I used to live less than 2 miles from Shea/Citi. Between the subway, the highways, the overall hum of the city and the fact that JFK airport is also nearby, the sounds of LGA never stood out much. At least during the 2000's-onward.

The pinnacle of ineptitude: the Cincinnati Reds throw a combined no-hitter*, but the Pirates win 1-0. Hunter Green went 7 1/3 innings, striking out nine and walking five - the last two getting him pulled in favor of Art Warren. Warren then promptly walks the bases loaded for Ke'Bryan Hayes - who grounds to a pulled-in Alejo Lopez at second, who tossed over to Matt Reynolds covering the bag. Unfortunately, Hayes was way too fast - and beat the throw to first. It's not scored as a hit but a fielder's choice, and the run scores because it wasn't the third out. Pittsburgh's Bryan Reynolds pops out to Cincy's Matt Reynolds, and that's all it took for the Pirates. David Bednar came in, got three pretty easy outs - and bam, the Buccos win without a single hit.

Would the lady who left her nine kids at American Family Field at Miller Park come and get them? They're beating the Brewers, 10-0.