[NHL] 2018-2019 Season: The Rise of Gritty

Pre season has officially begun so I think it's time for a new thread.

A quick summary to get us started:

Karlsson is a Shark, Tavares is a Leaf, Yzerman is mysteriously stepping down, the Caps apparently broke the cup doing keg stands, and Ottawa is in the dumpster, which is on fire and inside another, larger dumpster and we all kinda really feel bad for them but man, that Melnyk video will never not be funny in a really cringe way.

And I will say that the final four will be Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vegas (again) and That Team That Plays in That Arena a Block Away From the Ryman Auditorium.

Pittsburgh takes the Leafs in seven (and Crosby drives the dagger home), while TTTPiTAaBAFtRA takes back the Western Conference title in six.

This time, Subban scores the first goal of the series AND IT COUNTS, DAMMIT. Team in the right shade of Gold wins in six.

And I will say that the final four will be Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vegas (again) and That Team That Plays in That Arena a Block Away From the Ryman Auditorium.

Pittsburgh takes the Leafs in seven (and Crosby drives the dagger home), while TTTPiTAaBAFtRA takes back the Western Conference title in six.

This time, Subban scores the first goal of the series AND IT COUNTS, DAMMIT. Team in the right shade of Gold wins in six.
Seems a bit early to be calling your shots, but I can't be all that mad. I'd love for the Leafs to make it to the conference finals.

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Lets make some BOLD-ASS predictions!
  • Tampa takes the President's Trophy
  • Leafs make the final, beating Tampa in the conference final
  • Nashville takes the cup
  • Leafs finish regular season with 3 players over 80P (Mathews, Tavares and Marner). Nylander and Kadri both finish over 60.
  • Islanders win draft lottery

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea. Lets make some BOLD-ASS predictions!
  • Tampa takes the President's Trophy
  • Leafs make the final, beating Tampa in the conference final
  • Nashville takes the cup
  • Leafs finish regular season with 3 players over 80P (Mathews, Tavares and Marner). Nylander and Kadri both finish over 60.
  • Islanders win draft lottery
Draft lottery is all Vancouver!

Okay, let's see how things are going in Nashville...

(turns on radio feed)
(Calgary promptly scores)

Welp.

Jay Baruchel on Carlton, Youppi, and Gritty, in an interview from the Athletic:
IMG_20181030_170744.jpg

I take issue with his description of Leafs fans as non committal and inoffensive. 50yrs with no cup and its still the largest fanbase in the NHL and one of the most profitable franchises in North American sports, I'd call that committed. And everyone is offended by us ALL THE Time.

But his description of the mascots is bang on.

We are approaching American Thanksgiving, when it is generally agreed that the standings are more or less set and a playoff picture begins to come into focus (still insane to me- seems like maybe 82 games is too much if we are already at that point by 20).

How's your team faring?

Leafs are 1 point behind Tampa Bay for first in the division and they actually beat them in score differential. Bruins are breathing down their necks and also seem to STILL be the team they just can't beat. This race is going to be fun to watch.

Leafs have been so-so at home, which is an improvement because up until recently they were trash at home. And they're dominating on the road. Again, interesting because the strength of the depth down centre is supposed to be that it makes matchups a hell and yet they're more scary when that advantage is taken from them.

They've proven that they can manage without Nylander for a while as long as their top guys step up, but simultaneously look like they desperately need him so they have more scoring depth on the 3rd and 4th lines.

We're supposedly halfway through Mathews' injury and looking like we'll survive it with a positive record (AGAIN. And yet I'm sure if he's injured again next season people will panic AGAIN).

Andersen has been an absolute beast and yet this has me worried. Because Sparks has only had 3 starts and has been awful in two of them. Babcock is understandably hesitant to give him more starts with that record, but I don't think he's going to improve by sitting on the bench for 80% of the games. Hopefully Babs gives Andersen some more nights off once a playoff position is locked.

Still no Nylander and I'm starting to get scared. I trust Dubas, but at the same time, when even the Athletic, the only sports reporters worth listening to anymore, are talking trade potential, I fear we may lose him. God I hope not. This team will be downright lethal with the tag teaming of Mathews/Nylander, Tavares/Marner, and Kapenan/ Kadri. And I'd rather let him sit out the season than undervalue him in a trade and then have to face him for the next 8 yrs.

Marner is still my favourite Leaf. Kid is so much fun to watch and seems to develop chemistry with anyone he's put in a line with. Even gets Tavares to smile.

Morgan Reilly is finally turning heads in the broader hockey community as a bona fide number one D man, and Dermott deserves to be playing more. Literally every player on the Leafs performs better when he's on the ice.

So that's where we stand. You guys?

Last edited:
We're a competitive team. I had super high hopes for Skinner and he's exceeded them. Him and Eichel have amazing chemistry and I really hope we can lock him down. It's been so long since I've enjoyed watching the Sabres this much.

Not to mention I can't remember the last time we've had a defenseman as defensively strong as Dahlin. His offensive game isn't there yet but there are glimpses. He's going to be amazing.

Canucks have exceeded my expectation that they would be competing for first overall this year. I'm enjoying the early season success but I don't expect it will last.

It is troubling that we are oh-for-the-Pacific-Division.

EDIT: Okay, 3-5-1. But we're 10-0-0 against everyone else, so...

Last edited: