[NCAAF] 2017 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am posting this a bit early b/c of the surprising announcement from my alma mater.

Bob Stoops has stepped down as head coach. :(
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211616668

He's like a demi-god in Norman. Only one National Championship, but the only lost at home a handful on times during his reign.

The new guy is quite young. Having new coaches at Texas and OU should make for an interesting Red River game this fall.

I really hope there isn't some scandal that Stoops is trying to get out from under. He was certainly better than Switzer in that department, but we'll have to wait and see.

He's supposedly had heart issues and wanted to retire and enjoy life before anything bad happened. Not to mention coaching is a stressful job.

Is the new guy meant to be the coach going forward or just an interim for 2017?

They're saying he's the permanent pick. We'll see how long he lasts. OU plays Ohio State early in the season. That'll be rough. If he takes down Texas, that will buy him some time. Who knows maybe he'll be a wunderkind.

Someone posted about building a conference from every team that covered your home county, plus one wild card. Here's what I wound up with:
WVU
Pitt (The Backyard Brawl is BACK!)
Penn State (about damn time we get them back on the schedule)
Colorado
Kentucky
Army
Navy
Marshall (the ONLY way they'll ever play us again)
Ohio U
Air Force
Appalachian State
Wild Card: Syracuse. (Revive the Lambert Trophy!)

Heres mine:

Syracuse
Penn State
West Virginia
Colorado
Kentucky
Army
Temple
Marshall
Buffalo
Colorado State
Appalachian State

Jesus Christ the northeast is awful for football. I guess I'd put kansas in there just because being in such a trainwreck of a conference would be a severe hit to their program that already takes a lot of severe hits.

Ha!

Iowa State
Nebraska
K State
Washington
Mizzou
BYU
Tulsa
UTEP
NIU
Boise State
University of Idaho

And for my wildcard I'll go with Wazzu - it keeps up the cross state rivalry with the Dawgs and it would be so incredibly apropos to watch them struggle against and/or lose to the Vandals every damn year.

B

BErt

Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Indiana
Notre Dame
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota

...oh, lookit that, it's the old Big Ten plus Notre Dame in some alternate universe that Notre Dame isn't too stuck up their own assholes to join like they should have forever ago.

University of Oklahoma - BOOMER!
UTEP
Ohio State
Tulane
Baylor
Iowa State
Texas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
TCU
Kansas
West Virginia :whistling:

Ohio State early in the season with a brand new head coach at OU. Eesh. At least Texas also has a new head coach. Should make the Red River Rivalry game a hoot!

The only Football game in the nation tomorrow night was postponed. The second time that Sam Houston would kick off the college season. Bummer. This would have been the 3rd tropical storm that I spent watching football outside.

University of Oklahoma - BOOMER!
UTEP
Ohio State
Tulane
Baylor
Iowa State
Texas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
TCU
Kansas
West Virginia :whistling:

Ohio State early in the season with a brand new head coach at OU. Eesh. At least Texas also has a new head coach. Should make the Red River Rivalry game a hoot!
How did you end up with multiple Big 12 schools?

My list:
Florida State
Nebraska
Baylor
University of Colorado
TEXAS A&M
Notre Dame
University of Houston
Rice
Miami, OH
University of New Mexico
Louisiana-Lafayette
WC- LSU (for the wife)

The closest school to every county by conference maps above. Pick one school from each closest to you plus one wild card to make a conference.
In that case:

UNC
Maryland
WVU
Colorado
South Carolina
Army
East Carolina
Charlotte
Ohio
Air Force
Appalachian State University

Uff. That's quite a line-up.

Well, final was 72-43. I don't know what the fuck happened with our defense in the first half, but hopefully its a fluke.

How 'bout those Turtles! Maryland defeats texas university, 51-41.

Not a Maryland fan, just love that I'm already hearing moans and groans from our friendly rivals. Even saw one guy post "Fire Charlie Strong... oh wait."

How 'bout those Turtles! Maryland defeats texas university, 51-41.

Not a Maryland fan, just love that I'm already hearing moans and groans from our friendly rivals. Even saw one guy post "Fire Charlie Strong... oh wait."
if only the SWC had survived into the internet era. :D

Aggies, what are you doing?
Giving up on the run in the second half AGAIN! Why the hell does this team do this! You've been punishing them by running it down the defense's collective throat, and beating the crap out of UCLA, so... uhm... stop that... try passing on every down... that should work just fine this year, NOT. I'm starting to feel like ganging up on Sumlin to make he keep calling run plays.

r/CFB has a cool concept this year. We start with this, the closest FBS stadium to every county map...

Every week, the map changes. If you win, you claim the area your opponent held. So after Week 1, the map now looks like this...

If your opponent isn't on the map, even if you win, you get nothing. So WVU won't gain any territory because East Carolina lost to James Madison last week. Thanks to OOC losses, some teams may have to wait until bowl season to reclaim their home territory. Lookin' at YOU, t.u. :p

Dave

Staff member
I'll be very impressed if he keeps this up all season. It's going to be a major bitch and a half.

Also this guy makes so many of these maps that at this point I'd be surprised if he didn't have some kind of script where he could assign a team for each county and it'd spit the team out.

But the land consolidates. For instance, Oklahoma beat UTEP, so those two areas are tied together permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.