[NCAAF] 2017 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Shame all that black & gold will go away next week. Iowa plays Penn State and Iowa's not that good.

Dave

Staff member
That Penn State - Iowa game was fucking nuts. It didn’t end the way I wanted it to but it was an awesome game.

I still haven't heard a rational reason to play this game in Houston. It's a 150 or so mile trip for the SFA crowd, and only about a 75 mile trip from Huntsville for SHSU. Hey, if they're making the money to do it, ok, but just don't understand a college giving up an advantage for the crowd that would show up.

I still haven't heard a rational reason to play this game in Houston. It's a 150 or so mile trip for the SFA crowd, and only about a 75 mile trip from Huntsville for SHSU. Hey, if they're making the money to do it, ok, but just don't understand a college giving up an advantage for the crowd that would show up.
Both schools have a huge alumni presence in Houston. But since SFA focused on Basketball instead of football their half of the stadium is getting pretty sparse. The first several years of the game being in NRG the crowds were even. The last five years the SFA crowds keep getting smaller.

Dave

Staff member
The Huskers win out every game until they meet Iowa the day after Thanksgiving, when the Hawkeyes rise up and beat the crap out of them, reclaiming the land lost to Penn State and getting that sweet, sweet Ohio State territory.

In all actuality, I'm used to the Cougs not showing up to at least one game a season. I'm just happy this time it was a conference opponent, and not some FCS school who finishes their season 2-10 with one of those wins being against us and the other being their big (winless) rival who they beat 56-0. No, I'm not citing actual examples, that's just they way this program has been for at least the last decade or two. But last night? I'm not sure they even got on the plane in Pullman. Sure, the air quality was a little iffy, but they'd practiced and played in it before and the AQI stayed below 200 all night - and both teams were playing in the same air. You can't blame the officiating, because for once it was actually pretty consistent and whatever the "coalition" of refs in San Francisco meant, they did a pretty good job on replay as well. There were several calls that were overturned (against Cal, no less) that were absolutely right to be overturned, and a booth-initiated targeting review that deserved to be rechecked and upheld (spearing on 24 - not Bynum - on special teams). By all standards, the Cal Bears showed up, played lights-out defense, kept giving themselves chances to succeed (Falk was picked off 5 times and had a fumble, and our true-freshman RB had a fumble early), and just thoroughly and resoundingly beat the Cougs. Cal deserved that win, and the Cougs deserved that loss. Hopefully the Cougs will get their heads out of their asses and show up to the next game, but Falk's Heisman hopes are over (no big surprise there), and unless there's even more serious chaos this weekend and further down the line, the Cougs can kiss the playoffs goodbye. A Clemson or an Alabama may be able to make the playoffs with one loss, but not a Pac 12 nobody like the Cougs.

Status
Not open for further replies.