[NFL] NFL Thread

So I went to watch the season finale of Sherlock with my wife when it looked like Green Bay had it on lock and I come back to see that I missed one hell of a game.

Dave

Staff member
@Dave , you okay man? Know you're getting old and the ticker can't take as much... Just picking on you though. I hate prevent defense, and the Cowboys defense played well until they went to the prevent.

Now, who is the Texas team that WON a playoff game this year? My Texans!
Yeah, but look at who the Texans played versus who the Cowboys played. No contest, man.

And I'm fine. I'd have liked it had they won, but they started too slow and made too many mistakes early on. They got hot in the second half but you can't give that big of a head start to a team like Green Bay or you're going to have a bad day.

Raiders were 12-4 and lost to the 9-7 Texans. Cowboys had the league best 13-3 and lost to the 10-6 Packers. By the end of the game it came down to changing defensive style for 1 play, instead of continuing the pressure they sat back in a prevent. That one play cost the game for them. Poor coaching decision.

Dave

Staff member
Raiders were 12-4 and lost to the 9-7 Texans. Cowboys had the league best 13-3 and lost to the 10-6 Packers. By the end of the game it came down to changing defensive style for 1 play, instead of continuing the pressure they sat back in a prevent. That one play cost the game for them. Poor coaching decision.
Raiders also were missing key personnel, including an elite QB. Justify it all you want, but they ain't in the same league.

B

BErt

Fair's fair, Texans were missing an elite qb, too :p
The "hot takes" around here are that Detroit should let Stafford walk. If you place Stafford on Houston, Kansas City, or Miami, they're suddenly immediately contenders. Fans in my town are idiots.

I will not gloat.

I refuse to gloat.

Mason could have missed that kick, gone to OT, and Prescott could have thrown a 75-yard TD pass.

Are you suggesting that getting shut out by Buffalo counts as, like, 2 losses?
I really don't understand what you mean, the Cowboys had the best record in the league with 13 wins and 3 losses. They lost to the Giants twice and Eagles once. They didn't play Buffalo this year.

Dave

Staff member
...That was without Brady, though, right?
They also lost to 10-5-1 Seattle.

It's the NFL, man. There ARE no gimme games. And a team with a dismal record like the Bears can beat good teams like Minnesota and Detroit. Teams like the 4-12 Rams can beat teams like the 10-5-1 Seahawks and the 9-7 Buccaneers.

We all remember when the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in the Superbowl. People can say whatever they want about either team, but until the game is played, nothing is for certain.

I really don't understand what you mean, the Cowboys had the best record in the league with 13 wins and 3 losses. They lost to the Giants twice and Eagles once. They didn't play Buffalo this year.
What blotsfan said.

I kind of figured that you'd have been reminded that after the Pats shut out your team they'd been shut out the very next week, and that you'd take that as me saying "hey, the Patriots had a better record than Dallas."[DOUBLEPOST=1484674279,1484674164][/DOUBLEPOST]
We all remember when the Giants beat the undefeated Patriots in the Superbowl. People can say whatever they want about either team, but until the game is played, nothing is for certain.
Yeah, I'm glad the Giants got knocked out first round, so the Pats won't lose to them a third time.

I was also hoping to say the same thing about Dallas not losing a third time to them, too, but it just didn't matter

Zappit

Staff member
It's going to be one hell of a Super Bowl. The Falcons and the Patriots are playing really solid football right now.

I just have to give the edge to the Pats. Both offenses are terrific, but the Pats D makes it really friggin' hard to get into the end zone. They've had the stingiest red zone defense all year.

Super Bowl prediction time: I think the Falcons are going to win. This way, every team in the NFC South except for Carolina will have won a Super Bowl, thus further rubbing in our defeat last year (no, I'm still not over that).

Super Bowl prediction time: I think the Falcons are going to win. This way, every team in the NFC South except for Carolina will have won a Super Bowl, thus further rubbing in our defeat last year (no, I'm still not over that).
I hope so.

I've never trusted the Patriots and I never will. I'll never forgive them for the death of my Steelers.

Patriots 31, Falcons 28. Brady leads them down the field with 3 seconds to go, and Gostkowski makes like Vinatieri and nails the FG with no time left to win the game.

Dave

Staff member
Falcons 82
Patriots all die in a fire before the game starts.

And the entire world outside Boston rejoices.